The Council ForumTizzy Talk

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
15 Pages«<910111213>»
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Tizzy  
#201 Posted : Monday, March 30, 2015 6:51:48 PM(UTC)
Tizzy

Groups: Administrators, AoD Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 47 time(s) in 44 post(s)
Yes, it is hard. Unless you are in the Abyss...in which case it is much easier.

This is one reason demons enjoy proxy fights as much as the deities. Far better to wage war on foreign planes where it's very hard to permanently loose your entire army.

So as you can imagine, demons don't like combat in the Abyss...thus for all the various ego maniacs running around and all the drama and conflict of the court...the Abyss itself has been quite peaceful for the last several thousand years. Everyone has pretty much agreed to "take their fights outside" so to speak.

This will actually get a good amount of discussion in book ii, and then I fear it may come home to roost in book iii.

Offline Rosver  
#202 Posted : Thursday, April 2, 2015 12:30:16 AM(UTC)
Rosver

Groups: Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
@Tizzy

Hmm. If I remember correcly. Boggy was in a brawl. Not to mention, many demons did want and tried to kill you. It might be easier but still not easy isn't it?

There is also the fact that Demons can't actually go to Astlan in a whim so taking their fight outside might be more than difficult.
Offline Tizzy  
#203 Posted : Thursday, April 2, 2015 1:37:49 AM(UTC)
Tizzy

Groups: Administrators, AoD Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Well, much like for humans, a brawl generally does not involve a desire to kill.

This actually goes back to the discussions about ruined buildings.

Demons do get in fights, a lot, but generally not fight to the deaths. Usually we just want to kick butt on each other.

So to clarify, I was talking more about wars between the demon princes and arch demons. Those did happen but not so much recently as you will learn in book 2.

Now, that being said...this ties into the activities of one really nasty demoness in book 2.
In a case we discover, she's not playing by these rules and is in the business of killing demons she doesn't like. Of course, no one knows she's doing this (except those getting killed)

But yes, demons are still very hard to kill in the Abyss, we regenerate and so we can brawl very often and very hard.

And as for off plane, completely correct. But we are talking about some greater greater demons, most archdemons and all princes in this case...war again.

Again, hitting close to home on book 2 here...

All that being said, I do note a large number of people trying to, or wishing to, do me harm. I've never understood that. I'm thinking they must be very antisocial...you know the stereotype of the grumpy old demon waving his cane and shouting "get off of my dungeon you young whipper snappers!"

Although I have never actually, ok may be a few times, but not that often, gone into someones dungeon and started playing with their whips and snapping them in the air or at people.

Offline Rosver  
#204 Posted : Thursday, April 2, 2015 3:34:52 AM(UTC)
Rosver

Groups: Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Oops. I thought you mean 'fight' as in the normal kind.

A demon war, now that is something worth seeing. But then, why don't the Concordenax intervene? Or did this war happened after he was gone?

By the way, demons has a way, well a simpler way, of killing demons in the Abyss if such a thing is really something of a problem? Couldn't the other demon just run away? You mention a war though so the victim don't have to be imobile, which implies that this method is rather quick. Most demons can't use magic though so this method might not be magical in nature because you imply that lower demons like Boggy can do it.

I'm really curious about what this method is.
Offline Tizzy  
#205 Posted : Thursday, April 2, 2015 7:16:50 PM(UTC)
Tizzy

Well usually, all the same rules apply to humans getting killed at to demons, it's just demons are more resilient and regenerate.

However, big strong demons can hold smaller demons down and do damage to them faster than they can regenerate or use a prison to hold them. I get you in a locked room...think of Rupert dismantling the demon guard that Exador had put upon his lab. If that had been in the Abyss, the little demon would have had to escape the room physically and run away from Rupert before Rupert dismembered him.

As it was, he knew escape was going to be very difficult, so he sort of stood there and took his medicine, knowing that it would be extremely painful, but that he would live. In the Abyss, he'd have tried to escape.

It's really no different than with humans, just harder.

However, there are some "rules" by which I mean societal understandings that that sort of thing isn't normally done, or is only done with the approval of a higher up. Think of it like the mob.

If I kill your henchdemon, you might retaliate by killing one of my henchdemon. These are societal rules, not unlike feudal or mob rules.

This is one reason for a demon to swear loyalty to a higher up. For protection. Not all demons do this though.

Boggy and I are generally independent.

Antefalken is nominally in Lilith's camp. Not officially, but unofficially. So for example if one of Sammael's people permanently killed Antefalken without Lilith's permission, she would likely see this as an affront and retaliate. If some nobody from the outback killed him who she had never heard of, she probably wouldn't care too much. However, if said nobody from the Outbacks killed someone sworn to her, she would seek retribution.

The point being, killing other demons permanently is seriously frowned upon. Killing a vassal of someone else is a crime at least to the point that the liege can enact justice/retribution. Independents who kill each other get bad reputations and are shunned and maybe taken down themselves if they become a big enough problem.

As far as the Concordenax...well that is something I can't answer without serious spoilers. But hypothetically, assuming the presence of said Demon All Father, perhaps he doesn't care? Maybe he's a very Darwinian sort, survival of the strongest?

But I will say, these current accords, or at least the "no wars in the Abyss" thing is something that emerged post a pivotal event that is critical to book 2 and that happened thousands of years ago. It is also reflective of why you haven't been introduced to too many demons older than about 3000 or 4000 years old.

Boggy and Antefalken are both less than 1000. Younger than most elves.

Lilith is old, but don't tell her I said so. Ramses is about as old as you might think, given his name. Similar for Exador.

As to how old some of the rest of us are, that will be much clearer in book 2 as we spend quite a bit of time in the Abyss. And we also spend a lot more time in Astlan with people of long lived races who have memories that go back a long way (big surprise: elves can be very old).

Only a of the new characters introduced are "currently human"

Offline George  
#206 Posted : Friday, April 3, 2015 5:13:17 AM(UTC)
George

Groups: AoD Beta Demon, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

First of all Mr. Author, I really love your book. Wait, that came out wrong. I insanely love your book and I would love to be a part of your beta readers or if I am reading this thread correctly "beta-demons"?
Offline Rosver  
#207 Posted : Friday, April 3, 2015 1:59:17 PM(UTC)
Rosver

Welcome George as a fellow fanatic of the book.

By the way it becomes a tradition here to sign your name in blood red text if you want to beta read the next book. Its a contract for Tizzy to own your soul.
Offline Rosver  
#208 Posted : Friday, April 3, 2015 2:03:05 PM(UTC)
Rosver

@Tizzy

Hmm. You did not tell me what the method was. It would have given me an advantage.

I also guess Tom is independent also?
Offline Tizzy  
#209 Posted : Friday, April 3, 2015 9:57:28 PM(UTC)
Tizzy

Yes George Demon, you must sign in blood!!!!! bwah hah hah hah

Not sure there is a method other than dogged persistance, if you are in a three dimensional battle with demons in all directions it can be hard to run away, opponents can gang up on you etc. Plus, there may be big demons using WMD's etc

Yes, Tom is "independent" I have to use the quotes to maintain consistency with book 3.

Dancing
Offline Jonnyboi  
#210 Posted : Sunday, April 5, 2015 4:38:15 AM(UTC)
Jonnyboi

Groups: Heavenly Host Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Originally Posted by: Tizzy Go to Quoted Post
I'm afraid the Oorstemothian's aren't going away...

They're not only back, but escalating their craziness to heights that any rational person would consider insane.

T-A-G will comb through the forums and add beta list volunteers first from here.

Perhaps the romance writers have so many typos because they are writing in the throws of their own personal passion.

Oh my gawd. They aren't going to make a whole new chapter, added onto an existing article, to the constitution about demon slaying are they?

Oh and ugh tizzy, I got my brother to sign onto the site, told him to write it in blood...what say you give me some of my soul back for that?
It's hard to be good so why try?
Offline ziipoo  
#211 Posted : Monday, April 6, 2015 5:08:20 PM(UTC)
ziipoo

Tizzy and/or T-A-G could you perhaps answer this.

Now that Tom could take over the priests through the mana-links from the blessed arrows can he not take control of his accursed master through their link? I started reading the book again, to prepare for the beta(when? soon?) and when he discovered the cord between himself and Lenamare it got me thinking.
Offline Tizzy  
#212 Posted : Monday, April 6, 2015 5:19:31 PM(UTC)
Tizzy

@jonnyboi

Oh, a bit crazier than that, unfortunately only the plan will be revealed in book 2. Book 3 will be the implementation.

Book 2 has now turned into Book 2 and 3. This series just keeps getting longer and longer...

I have an even better reward for you, for getting your brother's soul, we can now promise that no one will ever use the "salt trick" as discussed by Lenamare and Jehenna on you once we have you down here in the Abyss.

We demons are civilized after all.

@ziipoo

You touch on an excellent point. I believe there is some discussion of this in the Library, but not sure.

Wizards use "Bindings" to bind their demons, instead of links. They use Familiar Links on familiars which is very different.

Bindings are very much one way links that shield the holder of the binding. Basically they can send spells/mana down the links, but they don't get much information back from the link, other than that the demon is there/the link valid. It is intentionally one way so that the demon can't crawl up it and screw with the wizard.

That's the HUGE difference between a Binding and any of the other Links.

A Familiar Link is used by a wizard on a familiar (cat) that is a two way link in which the wizard gets feedback from the Familiar and can basically see, feel, "possess" the Familiar. Sort of like a GoT warg can do. Except those are much more dynamic.

Also for reasons I can't disclose now, don't confuse a GoT warg with an Orc warg, which is like a Tolkein or Viking warg which is a big nasty wolf.

Offline hose45  
#213 Posted : Wednesday, April 8, 2015 6:14:44 AM(UTC)
hose45

Groups: Registered, Unverified Users

I know you've gotten this alot but now that were getting closer to spring do you perhaps have a firmer idea as to when you may release book 2 ?

Thanks Brick wall
Offline Jonnyboi  
#214 Posted : Wednesday, April 8, 2015 10:31:40 AM(UTC)
Jonnyboi

Originally Posted by: hose45 Go to Quoted Post
I know you've gotten this alot but now that were getting closer to spring do you perhaps have a firmer idea as to when you may release book 2 ?

Thanks Brick wall

Welcome to the club, and don't worry since Tizzy is enjoying our suffering. Sometimes I think he relishes in the secret desires of the book fans to scream and moan about the release date.
Offline Jonnyboi  
#215 Posted : Wednesday, April 8, 2015 10:33:34 AM(UTC)
Jonnyboi

Originally Posted by: hose45 Go to Quoted Post

Thanks Brick wall

Welcome to the club, don't worry though since Tizzy is no doubt enjoying the suffering of the fans. I bet it's his favorite past time, watching us scream and moan about the release, knowing full well he has all the answers. So close yet so far.
Offline Tizzy  
#216 Posted : Wednesday, April 8, 2015 9:06:32 PM(UTC)
Tizzy

I do indeed relish the screams, how else would I fall asleep at night?

It's very hard to fall asleep when you are a demon, unless you've really exerted yourself or are regenerating. You need to be able to really truly fully relax, and your screams are one of the few things that truly calm me.

T-A-G is saying he's close, he just hasn't got much closer since last week....he keeps saying one more week for the first draft. That was last week, and instead of doing this, he's been unnecessarily occupied in accumulating wealth via his "day job." Sheesh. Talk about lack of priorities.

The break point is known, everything to get to the break point is known, it's not that much, and then there are a few back parts/scenes to go back and fill in and then that's draft one. He will probably then do a full read/edit and then it's Beta time.

Beta time will hopefully be only a few weeks, then its editor time, which is probably 4-6 weeks assuming editor is not overbooked.

Then there is also the cover (for B1 2nd Ed, and B2 1st Ed), which right now is posing a bit of a problem as the artist keeps going MIA for weeks at a time....hope to have this done in parallel.

Offline Rosver  
#217 Posted : Tuesday, April 14, 2015 11:52:13 PM(UTC)
Rosver

Hmmm. Any plan B if the cover isn't delivered?
Offline Tizzy  
#218 Posted : Wednesday, April 15, 2015 7:10:15 PM(UTC)
Tizzy

Bwah hah hah!

Now you know what I keep whispering in T-A-G's ear every night before he goes to sleep!

It's that very question! I knew you were a demon!

Plan B would be, keep same cover for 2nd Edition book 1, and another, new similar T-A-G generated cover for Book 2.

Of course since T-A-G has put money down (1/3 per cover for each book) earlier this week...that would really suck for him. He could swap them out when they eventually show up. The idea of the money up front, which was T-A-G's idea, is to ensure it's in the artist's work queue.

Cover one is promised for end of May, book 2 cover for mid-June. This gives a solid timeline to shoot for, for T-A-G.

Of course, then there is the editor...need to be checking her schedule as well....she did a fantastic job on the 2nd edition, exactly what I'd hoped for. I think people will be pleased at her clean up.

Offline Tizzy  
#219 Posted : Wednesday, April 15, 2015 7:27:09 PM(UTC)
Tizzy

And since T-A-G wants a consistent style for the art...he would have put down a payment for book iii...if he knew what the title was...

technically the artist doesn't need to know that, but he'd like the title and the picture to sort of align.

He has some great ideas, but he can't bring them up until all the beta demons have beta read (due to spoilers) and then they can add their own to the list and then vote on the title of book iii.

Offline JMX  
#220 Posted : Thursday, April 16, 2015 3:25:51 AM(UTC)
JMX

Groups: AoD Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Ok Tizzy that is freaking cool for beta readers.

I think I will allow it.