The Council ForumTizzy Talk

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
4 Pages123>»
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline GameGraphix  
#1 Posted : Sunday, January 22, 2017 9:10:11 PM(UTC)
GameGraphix

Groups: AoD Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 23 time(s) in 23 post(s)
I'm always looking for new books to read, but it can be hard to find new stuff on Amazon...there is a look of CR@P out there....so I thought I'd start a few forum threads listing out some of may favorite books in the different genres - if you have any that you can recommend please add to the list..

Here are some of the LitRPG genre books that I've enjoyed reading and would recommend to other people.....

Ascend Online by Luke Chmilenko
Realm of Arkon series by G. Akella
Chaos Seeds series by Aleron Kong
Mirror World series by Alexey Osadchuk
LitRPG: Play to Live series by D. Rus
The Selfless Hero Trilogy by William D. Arand
The Slime Dungeon Chronicles series by Jeffery "Falcon" Logue and Silvia Lew
Dungeon Born by Dakota Krout
Awaken Online by Travis Bagwell

Offline Iume  
#2 Posted : Monday, January 23, 2017 5:33:34 AM(UTC)
Iume

Groups: AoD Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 41 time(s) in 41 post(s)
The Wandering Inn: https://wanderinginn.wordpress.com/

---

Persoally I found Play to Live started well enough, but I felt it went downhill after the third book.

Edited by user Monday, January 23, 2017 5:34:33 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Dungeon Roomba  
#3 Posted : Monday, January 23, 2017 5:35:26 PM(UTC)
Dungeon Roomba

Groups: AoD Beta Demon, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers
United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Critical Failures by Robert Bevan

Slime Dungeon and Divine Dungeon are a LOT alike. In fact, they could nearly be in the same world.

I +1 Ascend Online, Slime Dungeon, Chaos Seeds, and Divine Dungeon.
Gelatinous Cube
(aka Dungeon Roomba)

"Because there's always a 10x10-foot room for Jell-O"
Offline EyeDeKay  
#4 Posted : Monday, January 23, 2017 7:47:29 PM(UTC)
EyeDeKay

https://royalroadl.com/fiction/7599

How to Tame Your princess. Very long winded insane guy with only minimal plot. Moves along eventually.

https://drive.google.com...ftS2pwRUVFeFJUTlU/viview

By Andrew s. ball author of The Contractor (would also recommend that book)
About jackson and his adventures in the "Game" world Isis. Has Sex scenes.

http://royalroadl.com/fiction/3468
Loser of tarinath about a game world filled with criminals and one healer. Because criminals want to be fighting classes.

http://royalroadl.com/fiction/7793
Unbound deathlord by edward castle. (Amazon book)

http://royalroadl.com/fiction/8397
Underworld level up or die!

http://www.ironteethserial.com/table-of-contents/
Story about a goblin who lives with bandits.

http://royalroadl.com/fiction/8894
Everybody loves large chests
Extreme Gore weird sex things. Made me laugh on pretty much every chapter. It starts out way late, but this story has the best "God of chaos" ever. Couple chapters have been Read by jeff hays.

https://www.literotica.com/s/tristans-tale-pt-01
First few chapters are poop but it picks up into a great story

https://www.literotica.com/s/sisterhood-ch-01-1
This stories in a DnD world in the underdark about the drow. As you would expect for evil elfs it starts out with like four straight sex chapters as "initiation" Gets better and is long.

Edited by user Monday, January 23, 2017 8:10:47 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Dirk Flamberge  
#5 Posted : Monday, January 23, 2017 7:58:12 PM(UTC)
Dirk Flamberge

Groups: ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
royalroad is so full of garbage stories, hard to find good ones that dont turn to shit or die.
Offline Mikey  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, January 24, 2017 10:23:30 PM(UTC)
Mikey

Groups: AoD Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 30 time(s) in 30 post(s)
While waiting for book 4, I've gone through quite a number of Chinese Xianxia web novels. Most of them aren't written in a way that would express significant insight into the human mind, human interaction, or creativity.

One of the exceptions is Absolute Choice. It reads as if it was written by an adult trying to see through the eyes of a child, instead of the opposite, which seems to be the norm in Xianxia.

http://www.wuxiaworld.com/absolute-choice-index/
Offline Dungeon Roomba  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, January 31, 2017 6:23:02 PM(UTC)
Dungeon Roomba

Groups: AoD Beta Demon, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers
United States

Looks like Book 2 of Ascend Online will be released March 31, 2017.
Gelatinous Cube
(aka Dungeon Roomba)

Offline EyeDeKay  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, February 1, 2017 1:55:30 AM(UTC)
EyeDeKay

And The land book 6 came out.
Offline GameGraphix  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, February 1, 2017 10:51:31 PM(UTC)
GameGraphix

Originally Posted by: EyeDeKay Go to Quoted Post
And The land book 6 came out.

Thanks for the heads up - just purchases it....Amazon hasn't emailed me about the book release yet......sometimes I wonder what good the "Follow" option for authors is on Amazon - you don't get notified about new book releases for at least a week or two after the release day.....Brick wall

Looking forward to the new Ascend Online - will be a good b'day present
Offline The Author Guy  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, February 1, 2017 11:55:01 PM(UTC)
The Author Guy

Groups: Administrators, AoD Beta Demon, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 109 time(s) in 86 post(s)
Yeah, my experience is that books that you are following come out and you get notified 4 or 5 days later. At the least.

I am technically following my own books and was notified almost a week later that it had come out. I have always found it rather odd, and perhaps reassuring, that even though it's the same login for author/buyer, they can't seem to put two and two together to realize that I really don't need to buy my own books. Even though of course, I do so I get the full reader experience (or nightmare as the case was with the Kindle PW's).

However, what is more annoying is they often forget that I have purchased a book and will continue to send me emails about it after I've bought it, read it, etc.

Offline Mikey  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, February 7, 2017 3:15:20 PM(UTC)
Mikey

Groups: AoD Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 30 time(s) in 30 post(s)
I've come across a couple of LitRPG writers who's work isn't boring and predictable:

* Justin Miller's World Seed and The Dive series.

* Travis Bagwell's Awaken Online.

We should have a separate discussion on the topic of what makes a good fantasy book.
Offline Tizzy  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, February 7, 2017 10:08:47 PM(UTC)
Tizzy

Groups: Administrators, AoD Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 47 time(s) in 44 post(s)
I think that would logically work in the Fantasy forum, there is a topic on recommendations there, another topic on what makes a good fantasy novel would work.

Of course, I really don't know what you mean by a "a good fantasy book"

As I see it, you need to take worlds as you find them, and then write the non-fiction narratives of the events in that world as you observe them.

You sort of have to describe it as it is, the author can be at fault for not being able to suitably describe the events that happened, but you can hardly blame an author for the laws of physics, or lack there of, in a particular localverse or the events themselves nor their lameness.

Now true, the author might misrepresent them, but ultimately authors are just describing what they find in those worlds.

That's what T-A-G is doing. His faults are all about narrative structure, omissions of facts (now that's a serious issue for T-A-G, he is often misrepresenting my actions) etc.

Edited by user Tuesday, February 7, 2017 10:09:36 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline GameGraphix  
#13 Posted : Monday, February 20, 2017 12:26:15 PM(UTC)
GameGraphix

For those of you who enjoy books about living dungeons - such as the Slime Dungeon and Dungeon Born series....I just stumbled across a web-book based on this.....

I Was Reincarnated as a Magic Academy by Dragomir Cristian Madalin

Quote:
A slightly perverted, but rather average Romanian ends up dead after being shot in the back of his head while playing his favorite game. He is then reincarnated as the Dungeon Core installed in a Magic Academy. Now, his body is the building of the Magic Academy and his role is to maintain it as well as help the students with their studies while protecting them from various outside forces. Can he do it? With those starting stats, I would be surprised if he didn’t…

....sounds a bit strange but I'm enjoying the series so far....6 story arcs so far - 106 chapters....

Edited by user Monday, February 20, 2017 12:29:48 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Tizzy  
#14 Posted : Monday, February 20, 2017 5:18:05 PM(UTC)
Tizzy

Groups: Administrators, AoD Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

So this series also refers to a Dungeon Core (I think formerly a Dungeon Heart--in some book I read a century or so ago)

It's that now standard terminology in the LitRPG space?
Offline GameGraphix  
#15 Posted : Monday, February 20, 2017 9:31:59 PM(UTC)
GameGraphix

Not sure, I've only seen the term 'Dungeon Core' used in the series related to living dungeons, such as the Slime Dungeon, Dungeon Born and this series (haven't read any others yet)......they also use the term "Beast Core" as well - seems to be a 'gem' inside monsters that are collectible by adventurers once the monster has been slain

I haven't seen these terms used in other types of LitRPG - starting to wonder if these types of books are a sub-genre of the LitRPG with their own range of specific terms.....a bit like the 'FTL' term is used in the Sci-Fi genre
Offline Tizzy  
#16 Posted : Tuesday, February 21, 2017 1:32:56 AM(UTC)
Tizzy

Yes, Beast Core as well, OK, so it's not me just completely missing out.

I wonder if there is some game out there that has these cores? Perhaps that is what they are basing it on.

Offline GameGraphix  
#17 Posted : Tuesday, February 21, 2017 1:41:31 AM(UTC)
GameGraphix

Reminds me a bit of the Dungeon Keeper games

Dungeon Keeper

Or maybe this one - just found the site with a quick Google search of the terms "game dungeon core beast core"

War of the Overworld

may have to give this one a tryAnxious
Offline The Author Guy  
#18 Posted : Tuesday, February 21, 2017 4:22:34 PM(UTC)
The Author Guy

Groups: Administrators, AoD Beta Demon, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 109 time(s) in 86 post(s)
I loved Dungeon Keeper! Don't remember playing it for that long for some reason...compared to Doom or MMORPGs later...you know, I think I still have the box for it in my pile of ancient disks.

War of the Overworld looks very interesting...however, that's one more time suck than I need, I'm already overloaded with distractions...but it will haunt me....I'll pray to Tiernon not to get sucked into it.
Offline Dungeon Roomba  
#19 Posted : Wednesday, February 22, 2017 11:53:14 PM(UTC)
Dungeon Roomba

United States

Oh! I forgot about Overlord! This is a link to the original light novel. The first three have been translated to English. There's also a one season anime that covers Vol. 1-3, and a manga series.
Gelatinous Cube
(aka Dungeon Roomba)

Offline Tizzy  
#20 Posted : Thursday, February 23, 2017 12:29:47 AM(UTC)
Tizzy

Interesting.

You know what also would have been fun...is if something happened to zap all the undeadites out into the real world and he/his game self and NPC's could begin over running the "real world"

Hah hah. I love that conceit! "Real World" Everyone know the Real World was a tightly scripted, faux-reality series. Why Thomas Convent types always want to get back to that place is beyond me. Bleck!