The Council ForumTizzy Talk

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
12 Pages«<7891011>»
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline The Author Guy  
#161 Posted : Tuesday, September 13, 2022 9:45:08 PM(UTC)
The Author Guy

Groups: Administrators, AoD Beta Demon, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 109 time(s) in 86 post(s)
OOA was definitely easier, with only one POV and far fewer complexities, which is why I reprioritized it.

Originally it and COA were both to be out before Book IV, but then I decided, I really needed to get Book IV out and then after less than stellar progress, I decided I had to get something out, so went back to OOA.

Thanks for the patience!

thanks 1 user thanked The Author Guy for this useful post.
Adger Hatherton III, Esq on 10/11/2022(UTC)
Offline Adger Hatherton III, Esq  
#162 Posted : Tuesday, October 11, 2022 2:15:08 AM(UTC)
Adger Hatherton III, Esq

Groups: ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Originally Posted by: The Author Guy Go to Quoted Post
OOA was definitely easier, with only one POV and far fewer complexities, which is why I reprioritized it.

Originally it and COA were both to be out before Book IV, but then I decided, I really needed to get Book IV out and then after less than stellar progress, I decided I had to get something out, so went back to OOA.

Thanks for the patience!

Sir!

If I may add, in addition to my appreciations, I've had the thought that thy initial lack of stellar progress could easily have been the result of circumstances - and that should none others attempt understanding then I shall. And fail of course, but attempt at least.

It seems to me that you may have started that project with two major story arcs ending, the biggest revelatory parts of the story revealed, questions of what themes to continue (could one repeat the same themes and human foibles over six books, without boring your audience?), which characters to focus viewpoints on, and similar concerns.

It also seems to me that should you have quit your day job to focus on developing those story arcs, themes, new revelations, thoughts on how characters attitudes could change, and what other loopy folks could appear in the story, and all of the rest - you may have made more progress. But you have no criticism coming from this front.

And yet, I cry out! May Doom have its day!

Edited by user Tuesday, October 11, 2022 2:17:21 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Lodrik  
#163 Posted : Tuesday, October 11, 2022 8:41:39 PM(UTC)
Lodrik

People have to eat. The author guy wrote before that the books dont make enough money to life by, so your "It also seems to me that should you have quit your day job..." is asking him to life in poverty (and this seems to be the rare occasion where everything AFTER the but is meaningless (why criticize in the first place if you dont mean to?))
#164 Posted : Wednesday, October 12, 2022 2:53:19 AM(UTC)
Adger Hatherton III, Esq

Originally Posted by: Lodrik Go to Quoted Post
People have to eat. The author guy wrote before that the books dont make enough money to life by, so your "It also seems to me that should you have quit your day job..." is asking him to life in poverty (and this seems to be the rare occasion where everything AFTER the but is meaningless (why criticize in the first place if you dont mean to?))

My apologies to yourself, and to the author!

That was hardly my intended statement, while writing that message I was in fact attempting to express the exact reverse! You have me embarrassed, here.

I was rather attempting to state that seeking that sort of sacrifice would have been the path that would have smoothed moving the story forward, but at a cost I would not myself support, were I in his shoes!

Offline Guruushika  
#165 Posted : Wednesday, October 12, 2022 7:05:28 AM(UTC)
Guruushika

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Has TAG looked into getting Patreon? I assume that given how anxiously people await the new books, I figure having financial motivation might do it. Plus giving sneak peeks to parts of the book that he is certain are correct would probably serve as a reward.
Offline Tizzy  
#166 Posted : Wednesday, October 12, 2022 9:01:53 PM(UTC)
Tizzy

Groups: Administrators, AoD Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 47 time(s) in 44 post(s)
He's thought about it, but his ego won't permit it. You'd think he thought he was a god or something, sheesh.

Officially he says he just can't figure out what the rewards would be and how and when they would be awarded and that if he missed deadlines etc, it would add to guilt about how late he is.

Personally, I advocate for maximum guilt/torture/whatever it takes to get him to write faster.

#167 Posted : Thursday, October 13, 2022 2:33:20 AM(UTC)
Adger Hatherton III, Esq

Originally Posted by: Tizzy Go to Quoted Post
He's thought about it, but his ego won't permit it. You'd think he thought he was a god or something, sheesh.

Officially he says he just can't figure out what the rewards would be and how and when they would be awarded and that if he missed deadlines etc, it would add to guilt about how late he is.

Personally, I advocate for maximum guilt/torture/whatever it takes to get him to write faster.

Good to know!

I do think now it's been proven that I am hardly a fount of wisdom, or at least lacking sufficient erudition to make myself clear. Yet I do have an observation that I've seen.

One of the paths that I've seen authors take is to release their books chapter by chapter on Royal Road, paired to a patreon page that provides the paid opportunity for reading further ahead. It's a way of testing one's market, and getting some income.

I've also seen authors taking this path who pull in under $2K per month, again - hardly enough to pull in expenses in this country.

The profession is not easy.

Offline Lunarmage  
#168 Posted : Thursday, October 13, 2022 2:12:49 PM(UTC)
Lunarmage

Originally Posted by: Adger Hatherton III, Esq Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Tizzy Go to Quoted Post

Good to know!

I do think now it's been proven that I am hardly a fount of wisdom, or at least lacking sufficient erudition to make myself clear. Yet I do have an observation that I've seen.

One of the paths that I've seen authors take is to release their books chapter by chapter on Royal Road, paired to a patreon page that provides the paid opportunity for reading further ahead. It's a way of testing one's market, and getting some income.

I've also seen authors taking this path who pull in under $2K per month, again - hardly enough to pull in expenses in this country.

The profession is not easy.

Patreon has been suggested a few times, RR I don't think has made an appearance yet. I only recently started using it for one of the stories I've been reading/listening to. It may be a matter of time management that could be the issue. TAG may not have the time to set all of that up, do their normal job, AND write the books we so badly want to read.
Me thinks they need an intern.
Offline Tizzy  
#169 Posted : Thursday, October 13, 2022 8:42:38 PM(UTC)
Tizzy

Groups: Administrators, AoD Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Interesting on the RR, had not heard of that. Amazon has started a similar serialized thing called Vella, or Vellum as I like to think of it.

May have been inspired by RR.

Yes, the business is not easy, or so he claims. Which is also why Patreon really doesn't help that much....his monthly burn rate is very high, very very high.

I suspect it's that private Fiber Optic network connection he has to the Abyss, the one he won't let me route through, forcing me to download videos over my new ISDN connection.
Offline MommaGx3  
#170 Posted : Saturday, October 15, 2022 4:42:46 PM(UTC)
MommaGx3

Groups: AoD Beta Demon, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Yup, I just kind of hop on every once in awhile and check the updates. I actually recommended the audio version of the books to my husband. You should have heard him laughing. He really likes the reader too. Now HE keeps asking me when book 4 will be out.... pffft, like I have some kind of insider link or something. I just keep puffin my demon weed and chilling while I wait for the next fix. Keep at it author man, your loyal Peons await.
Mother of 3 little demon monkeys.... well, not so little anymore. *sniff* *sniff*
Offline Tizzy  
#171 Posted : Saturday, October 15, 2022 10:17:59 PM(UTC)
Tizzy

If only I had an insider link! Confused

I mean, I dictated the story to him, some parts many times! Every night I hover over his bed repeating various parts of the story, all night long!
All he has to do during the day is type them into the computer, EXACTLY as I told him the night before!

But when I return the following night, I just find him slumped over his keyboard, sound asleep!

I just don't get what's up with the guy! Brick wall

Offline Lodrik  
#172 Posted : Sunday, October 16, 2022 8:29:44 PM(UTC)
Lodrik

I have read a few works on RR and its a great opportunity to start out but I dont think that its ideal to keep going. The chapter by chapter upload makes later changes really difficult and I have the impression that TAG doesnt have a straight line he follows.
I think authors used to RR can make it work but to start in in the middle of a series seems like a nightmare (specially with book 1-3 in kindle unlimited). Patreon doesnt have as much issues (I dont think KU goes the length to check there for uploaded chapters) and you can set Patreon up to take money in relation to the number of chapters you uploaded (so you dont have the pressure to make monthly releases) but the continuity issue remains...

RR can also become VERY toxic, just look at the comments in "The Arcane Emperor". Its really helpful to authors starting (some readers give GREAT feedback), but you also need to take the work down if you use KU and that starts a new shit-storm: The author of "dungeon robotics" posted at one point that he took the older chapters down when he released the book with KU (he kept posting new chapters so RR was about 3 books ahead of the KU release) and he got death treats to him AND his ~6 year old daughter (from some **** to re-upload the older chapters) and thats when he left RR altogether.
Offline The Author Guy  
#173 Posted : Monday, October 17, 2022 11:58:21 PM(UTC)
The Author Guy

Groups: Administrators, AoD Beta Demon, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Eesh. But yes, I can definitely see that.

I think the idea of RR or Vella is reasonable, that is how many books were published for a couple hundred years. Obviously there were higher end authors that did full novels in say the 1700's but it was a rarified and expensive field, aimed at more wealth individuals

Mass market novelization was generally serialized in magazines, for example most of Mark Twain's work, Jules Verne and a good number of authors in Europe and the US did this.

For SF, this was very common in the 20th Century, think of all the great SF magazines, and while a lot of that was short stories, there were also serialized novels or novellas.

The big advantage with those was, the only way to talk back was either in your own social circles/book clubs/fan clubs or by writing to the author via the publisher.

Today, like everything on the internet it's a free for all of opinion and counter opinion.

For RR and Vella, I also think about all the various fan and literature sites, particularly the slash fiction etc etc. Everyone on those sites is used to serialized stories, some of them ridiculously long, even by my standards, but all free, or maybe some donations here and there.

You start charging money for things people are used to getting for free, and people get mad. Somewhat understandably, although maybe not logically, since the person writing the stuff has to eat and stay alive somehow long enough to eventually finish
Now, I do actually know authors that post the first few chapters on free story sites, and clearly mark them as 'advertisements/trailers' for e-books on Amazon, and that may work/seems to work.

By telling people upfront it's a 'trailer/advertisement' is probably less likely to generate ill will then many other ways to do it.

But I am not that sure and I'd sort of like to avoid such rancor/anger/misunderstanding.

Thus I think one is better off just staying away from free to begin with, UNLESS it's a free one off (not serialized). I am personally open, and often think of doing free short stories, unrelated to the main plotline. And assuming they don't end up being so long as to justify the minimum 0.99 price on Amazon, I'd be more than happy to release them as free books/shorts on Amazon Kindle, basically as advertising.

I don't do this solely in the interest of trying to keep my focus on the main book(s) and not getting distracted, if I am going to take time to write, I am going to write the stuff people are more than patiently waiting for.

Offline Tisslils  
#174 Posted : Wednesday, November 9, 2022 12:13:03 AM(UTC)
Tisslils

Groups: AoD Beta Demon, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

My god, it’s been 5 years already! How time flies! What’s the progress like? 40%?
Offline The Author Guy  
#175 Posted : Friday, November 11, 2022 5:25:05 PM(UTC)
The Author Guy

I know, although I sort of count OOA as a half thing in there.

40% is probably about right because I am reworking where a lot of details on "how to get there to the 'end of book 4 and what happens there' to setup book 5.

I began to realize that battle for Doomalogue after Doomalogue was going to get tedious. So I am working to mix things up, make each of the quests more unique/idiosyncratic.

And then, reworking the pacing because some events were coming too soon and needed moving back, and just trying to shuffle all the story lines to match the timelines so everyone ends up at the right place at the right time.

So the last few months have been more re-plotting rather than direct writing.

There are quite a things that got complicated when COA moved to being after Doom's Day. Originally COA was to be out before Doom's Day, and that book is sort of required for the Tizzy and Rede plotline (and COA takes place before Tizzy and Rede meet up with the people in COA) So how to deal with that, and the fact that the COA people + Rede are going to be needed for reckoning with the Storm Lords and Rede's Sire, Smerti who has recently got new support from Orcus' sister.

Actually pushing COA after DD really screwed with the undead timeline, but if I don't get DD out next, there will be total mutiny among readers.
Offline Lodrik  
#176 Posted : Wednesday, January 11, 2023 11:36:12 AM(UTC)
Lodrik

Hey there,

I hope you all had a merry christmas and a happy new year!

We all look forward to Dooms Day, thanks for your effort Tizzy and TAG (we really appreciate it!)
Offline The Author Guy  
#177 Posted : Thursday, January 12, 2023 12:43:31 AM(UTC)
The Author Guy

Thanks!

I just had my whip rebraided at Yuletide, so that should provide T-A-G some extra motivation!

Tizzy
Offline Lunarmage  
#178 Posted : Thursday, January 12, 2023 5:03:40 PM(UTC)
Lunarmage

Thanks!

I just had my whip rebraided at Yuletide, so that should provide T-A-G some extra motivation!

Tizzy

Did T-A-G leave his computer on for Tizzy to get into?

Offline The Author Guy  
#179 Posted : Thursday, January 12, 2023 6:10:31 PM(UTC)
The Author Guy

Ack! I've been hacked!

Demonic Hacking!

He's now going around impersonating me! This is not good at all!

Time to change my password, because Tizzy has figured it out!

Offline Dungeon Roomba  
#180 Posted : Sunday, January 29, 2023 11:56:51 PM(UTC)
Dungeon Roomba

Groups: AoD Beta Demon, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Ack! I've been hacked!

Demonic Hacking!

He's now going around impersonating me! This is not good at all!

Time to change my password, because Tizzy has figured it out!

Really? You sound surprised. Why is that? It's not like Tizzy doesn't get your password at least once a year, on average! LOL He's sneakier than he looks. And that's pretty sneaky, because Tizzy looks sus as hell.

Gelatinous Cube
(aka Dungeon Roomba)

"Because there's always a 10x10-foot room for Jell-O"