The Council ForumTizzy Talk

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline The Author Guy  
#1 Posted : Friday, August 6, 2021 10:16:51 PM(UTC)
The Author Guy

Groups: Administrators, AoD Beta Demon, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 109 time(s) in 86 post(s)
Hi,

I am running a bit behind, but still plan to start Beta sometime this month.

The last two weeks of work were insane putting out fires, but I'd slowed a bit before that as I do my "perpetual struggle" with how to end/transition a book in a series.

I.e. where does the cliffhanger go, and how deadly is the cliff?

So I am in the last chapter or two, I am just trying to decide where to end the first book of OOA, since there will be a second at some point. So the question is how much of a semblance of closure should there be since I don't know how long until book 2, given that I've got book IV (V,VI,VII) and COA out there and where do things all fit.

I mean, I could give you the 'illusion of closure' and just sort of let some dangling questions go unanswered for now, or I could push things to the edge of one of two cliffs that are coming in rapid succession.

So, that's the biggest hold up right now is my own waffling. Once I decide that, things should move pretty quick to beta.

T-A-G

thanks 1 user thanked The Author Guy for this useful post.
Vulcron von Islingr on 8/11/2021(UTC)
Offline Dungeon Roomba  
#2 Posted : Saturday, August 7, 2021 1:17:01 AM(UTC)
Dungeon Roomba

Groups: AoD Beta Demon, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
That's great! Soooo looking forward to this.
Gelatinous Cube
(aka Dungeon Roomba)

"Because there's always a 10x10-foot room for Jell-O"
Offline Adger Hatherton III, Esq  
#3 Posted : Monday, August 16, 2021 5:04:09 AM(UTC)
Adger Hatherton III, Esq

Groups: ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Originally Posted by: The Author Guy Go to Quoted Post
Hi,
So I am in the last chapter or two, I am just trying to decide where to end the first book of OOA, since there will be a second at some point. So the question is how much of a semblance of closure should there be since I don't know how long until book 2, given that I've got book IV (V,VI,VII) and COA out there and where do things all fit.

I mean, I could give you the 'illusion of closure' and just sort of let some dangling questions go unanswered for now, or I could push things to the edge of one of two cliffs that are coming in rapid succession.

If you would like to hear an opinion from reader (not writer) on what I'd hope for in ending a book is this: I prefer reading books where there's some sort of closure, at least so long as the story has reached a reasonable milestone.

It can be a discussion between characters about what they expect to see next, while reflecting back, or perhaps an epilogue. Your first three books handled things well.

(I do so hope that you enjoy the name of this particular demon)

Edited by user Monday, August 16, 2021 5:06:12 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline The Author Guy  
#4 Posted : Monday, August 16, 2021 1:48:52 PM(UTC)
The Author Guy

Groups: Administrators, AoD Beta Demon, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 109 time(s) in 86 post(s)
And that's precisely what I am working on.

The series/story does go on, but I want to be at a good closing point so that if it takes a long time (or maybe forever) for next book people are not left hanging.

That being said, because it really is part of the larger series, some of what happens next can also be seen in later books, so there wouldn't be any true "left completely hanging" if never occurred. I don't think never, but the last few years since book III is that "coming soon" can be further away than I' would have expected or planned.

thanks 1 user thanked The Author Guy for this useful post.
Vulcron von Islingr on 8/17/2021(UTC)
Offline overrclocked  
#5 Posted : Monday, August 16, 2021 7:53:31 PM(UTC)
overrclocked

Groups: ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Completely agree here. If you don't have a good idea when the next book will be out, ending the novel on a cliff hanger would be the worst. A long epilogue is the way to go.