The Council ForumTizzy Talk

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
2 Pages12>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Konicomi  
#1 Posted : Monday, March 26, 2018 10:08:54 PM(UTC)
Konicomi

Groups: AoD Beta Demon, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Baragamos knows who Orcus really is and that he is not "Evil" also the fact that he was killed against Tiernons wishes and is not a demon prince that would cause unneeded trouble for most innocents so why during meetings does he talk about trying to find out how far flung his Macanations are spread?
Offline Rakshasa  
#2 Posted : Monday, March 26, 2018 10:30:00 PM(UTC)
Rakshasa

Groups: ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Well keep in mind that during most of those meetings he wasn't certain that the demon they were discussing was actually Orcus. Some of the details made him suspicious, but you can't plan based purely on suspicions.

And, moreover despite the fact that Orcus isn't "evil" per-say that doesn't mean that he hasn't (and won't again) come into conflict with the 5 siblings over some things. Obviously, they usually wouldn't have been at the level as what happened on Etterdam because of the fact that they don't actually want him killed and potentially freeing their mutual parents... but he IS technically opposed to being a god on principle.
Offline Konicomi  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, March 27, 2018 6:16:22 PM(UTC)
Konicomi

yes but he had a oath with the 5 siblings of loyalty and fraternity that they broke on emtterdam when orcus was fighting neet and im guessing sentier told the churches to go against orcus however he didn't go against them until then due to keeping his oath as he always did and it is true he didnt know for sure it was orcus however when speaking about finding out about his machinations he was assuming it was orcus reborn at the time and just because he didnt want to be a god didnt make him evil he was on the side of the underdog not the "evil" like the knights of chaos he was theoretically against true evil based on him building a prison and imprisoning his seriously evil mother based on greek mythos
Offline Konicomi  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, March 27, 2018 6:20:26 PM(UTC)
Konicomi

another confusion i have for volume 2 is how do you demonize arachnids? how do you get them to smoke the weed?
Offline Tizzy  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, March 27, 2018 6:41:47 PM(UTC)
Tizzy

Groups: Administrators, AoD Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 47 time(s) in 44 post(s)
Yes on all that above about who knew what.

Big thing is: only the 5, Beragamos and a few really high level avatars of the 5 had any clue as to who Orcus was, and then the dirty little secret about locking up dear old mom and dad? That is super hush hush.

Sentir Fallon "officially" did/does not. Or let me put it this way, Tiernon and Beragamos believe that Sentir Fallon does not know who Orcus is/was and how he was related to him. See the conversation Tiernon had about how upset he was when Sentir Fallon slew Orcus and why he could not punish him.

So for the point of view of the meetings, Beragamos has to officially be concerned about a) demon and later b) a demon prince screwing around with them. And, as mentioned, Tiernon and the avatars "in the know" are paranoid about Orcus' wrath. Killing Orcus broke a lot of oaths.

So before they knew it was Orcus, their concern in the meeting was very real. Once they started to suspect, they had the obvious real concern about him wanting vengeance and Beragamos even more so, since he knew that it was a much bigger betrayal/screw up than anyone else knew and that it was also far more problematic than the other avatars thought.

Except of course for Sentir Fallon, as to what he did or did not know when? We learn that in Book 4.

As for spiders, they can eat weed, I suppose. I know they really like my cookies.

However, there are quite a few different fauna in the Abyss, I don't think anyone is taking credit for creating the demon spiders, although I could be wrong.
thanks 1 user thanked Tizzy for this useful post.
Konicomi on 3/28/2018(UTC)
Offline Rakshasa  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, March 27, 2018 10:01:34 PM(UTC)
Rakshasa

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Konicomi Go to Quoted Post
yes but he had a oath with the 5 siblings of loyalty and fraternity that they broke on emtterdam when orcus was fighting neet and im guessing sentier told the churches to go against orcus however he didn't go against them until then due to keeping his oath as he always did and it is true he didnt know for sure it was orcus however when speaking about finding out about his machinations he was assuming it was orcus reborn at the time and just because he didnt want to be a god didnt make him evil he was on the side of the underdog not the "evil" like the knights of chaos he was theoretically against true evil based on him building a prison and imprisoning his seriously evil mother based on greek mythos

Actually, saying the 5 siblings broke their Oath isn't fair. Tiernon and Torean broke the oath. The other 3 made it pretty clear in Apostles of Doom that they told their followers not to oppose Orcus, and that they were angry with their brothers for not doing the same. This doesn't, of course, mean that Orcus won't hold all 5 responsible for what happened... just that 3 of them are technically not oath breakers.

As for Orcus not being aggressive against the 5 siblings on Etterdam... well he probably wasn't in a position where he could. Fighting Net's forces alone was probably a serious drain for Doom, pretty sure he is the El'asdir God of War. He did have most of his D'Orcs on Etterdam at that time (noted by the D'Orcs on Nysegard being so few after his death) which shows that he needed to draw down forces elsewhere to have enough might to oppose Net. I suspect that Sentir Fallon, being the deceptive and treacherous bastard that he is, likely didn't bring the church into direct opposition with Orcus until shortly before they were ready to kill Orcus. Obviously, that could easily be a few decades but that still wouldn't have let Orcus enough time to start punishing his step-brother for the "betrayal"... especially since he had no idea that he was about to be "permanently" destroyed by an antimus filled dagger. Note: I'm not saying that the Etterdam Church of Tiernon hadn't entered the conflict against the Orcs and D'Orcs prior to Sentir Fallon... just that they weren't a major threat without Sentir Fallon who undoubtedly brought other Tierhallic (i.e. heavenly assets, mana, Saints, Archons, etc) support.

And I agree, he isn't evil. I'm pretty sure I specified that he isn't evil, just that his opposition to other gods could bring him into conflict with his step-siblings on occasion.
thanks 1 user thanked Rakshasa for this useful post.
Konicomi on 3/28/2018(UTC)
Offline Konicomi  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, March 28, 2018 12:09:27 AM(UTC)
Konicomi

Good point thank you both for the explanations Baragamos motivations make much more since I always like to know what motivates characters to act how they do so i can understand who they are. As for the spiders I took Hephaestus using them in all his gate rooms and the fact that no one in the abyss even knew they existed to mean that either he or Orcus created them. I guess it would be easier to have trial and errors on getting them d'arachnified seeing how easy it would be to catch a spider and a)feed them cookies (although as you said in volume 3 that is a waste of your epicurean delights) or b) smoke them like you would a bee hive I guess that could work although getting their true name to bring them from the astral plane might be difficult unless naming them yourself counts as their true name. Now that I say all this Tizzy it seems only you would have the patients and be *cough* crazy *cough* .... i mean smart enough to even try to do something like this!
Offline Mikey  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, March 28, 2018 3:08:43 PM(UTC)
Mikey

Groups: AoD Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 30 time(s) in 30 post(s)
Offline Tizzy  
#9 Posted : Friday, March 30, 2018 10:07:00 PM(UTC)
Tizzy

Groups: Administrators, AoD Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Hmm

Sitting around granting true names to arachnid eggs....I wonder what poor schlub demon would get stuck with that unenviable task?

Seems like a good job for Bellyachus....

Offline D'il  
#10 Posted : Saturday, July 27, 2019 2:34:44 AM(UTC)
D'il

Hey Tizzy,

One thing I haven't been able to figure out is the statement that Mt. Doom had multiple reports of Chaos Maelstroms in space (even though they were the Shaman's last reports). As I'm sure you know, the temperature in the vacuum of space is at least as cold as Tom made things in the Abyss during the post-party battle. So how did the Knights of Chaos manage to win those fights rather than "cracking up" so to speak? Did they just forget to bring their thermal underwear that day since the target was in the Abyss?

Thanks,

D
Offline mhinternational88  
#11 Posted : Saturday, July 27, 2019 2:26:49 PM(UTC)
mhinternational88

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

In theory that the cold Tom used was basically a byproduct of the ordered state he imposed on the abyss, the ordered state was the objective not the actual cold its self. Whereas the cold in space is due to a vacuum which is a highly energetic and thus chaotic environment for the knights to draw power from.

My guess is imposing an ordered state in deep space would be considerably more difficult.
Offline Tizzy  
#12 Posted : Saturday, July 27, 2019 2:51:53 PM(UTC)
Tizzy

It would be very hard, since there isn't much other than radiation and very scattered infrequent matter.

Sort of like trying to order the very last 0.01% of matter.

And there are some details missing from that description, where was the maelstrom? Was it in M-space, Ӕ-space (or the ӔV) or ??

That might make a difference. In particular, as we know, there is no Ӕ-space in the Abyss and thus of course no ӔV either, of course the interesting thing then would be with no ӔV, you can't travel faster than the speed of light in the Abyss. So, assuming it's infinite, it could take a really really long time to get to the most remote locations. Unless of course, the speed of light is much faster in the Abyss, or, maybe there is no speed of light? But that seems like it would really screw up the physics of the place, so I would have to assume there is a speed of light in the Abyss. But I suppose it could be as fast as in Ӕ-space. Or could it? It's the unique dimensionality of Ӕ-space that allows one to go exponentially faster than M-space light, not a per se very high speed of light, and the Abyss does not appear to have that dimensionality, so you couldn't create the same sort of Abyssal Vortex.

Hmm. Well thank goodness for boom gates and teleportation etc. If we know where we are going, we can just hop gates or create a new gate.

Of course, if we don't know where we are going, we can't ever get there that way. We'd need to "know" the place to get there.

Hmm, seems like it would be mighty easy to hide in the Abyss. Who knows what's out there?
Offline HouseMimic  
#13 Posted : Saturday, July 27, 2019 4:01:37 PM(UTC)
HouseMimic

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Technically the vakuum of space has no temperature, since temperature is an attribute of matter. You need something there to have a temperature. If you simply put something in a lightless Vakuum it would slowly cool out thanks to Planck-radiation, but the process would be significantly slower than the energydrain the Knights of chaos should experience in an atmosphere thanks to heat conduction. So Knights in Space are far less affected by the surronding temperature and most likely generate more heat than they lose. Its similiar to how an perfectly reflective objekt in the Corona of the sun could actually be pretty cool despite the surroundng plasma being actually hotter than the surface of the sun, since the surronding plasma is very thin and simply doesn`t transfer enough energy. Also if space could kill knights of chaos we really shouldn`t send astronauts out there, afterall I doubt a normal spacesuit could be superior to the mystical powers of a being of pure chaos.
Offline Tizzy  
#14 Posted : Saturday, July 27, 2019 11:14:03 PM(UTC)
Tizzy

Very good point.

But don't forget the 3 degree background radiation!

It's not that warm, both those 3 degrees of kelvin can almost fry bacon, which is why you hear about "3 degrees of kelvin bacon!" It's just not the necessary 6 degrees of kelvin bacon that you need.

Edited by user Saturday, July 27, 2019 11:15:49 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline D'il  
#15 Posted : Sunday, July 28, 2019 2:12:12 AM(UTC)
D'il

Well, that is a lot of information to respond to so I'll just go through it:

1. The temperature is space is 2.7 k and if I remember correctly Tom reduced the temp to somewhere near that
2. Space is not energetic because there are very few atoms bouncing around in the vacuum of space although there are various forms of radiation depending on where you are.
3. Yes, the vacuum of space does have a temperature, it's 2.7k or as Tizzy stated about 3 kelvin. If anyone is interested in the cooling properties of matter in the vacuum of space, check out the Cold Atom Lab on the International Space Station. I'm pretty sure that would freeze Knights of Chaos.
4. I suppose you could cook bacon in the background radiation of space. Tizzy, maybe you could get Trig Bioblast to dangle some bacon outside of the OCSS SkullCrusher in space to see if it cooks. Let's take bets to see if it microwaves or freeze-dries first.
5. Wouldn't a Shaman need to be in M-Space to see a Chaos Maelstrom? I don't think there have been any studies regarding visibility between two objects traveling faster than light since those curmudgeons in science still insist that isn't possible.
6. Although if you don't know where you are going you can't get there, it would still apply to the theory of "no matter where you go, there you are".

I still hold to the theory that the Knights of Chaos just forgot their thermal underwear. :-)

D

Edited by user Sunday, July 28, 2019 2:14:39 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Tizzy  
#16 Posted : Sunday, July 28, 2019 4:28:52 PM(UTC)
Tizzy

Good points.

I would say I am not an expert on Chaos Maelstrom's and exactly what the bubble they are in, when in a Maelstrom is. In the Abyss, they were riding with in it on horses. I am doubting they would be riding in horses in outer space. My bet is that they were in some sort of spacecraft.

Because while it is true that Tom froze them out in the Abyss, and thus it is possible they might not survive in the vacuum of space (unlike a demon for example), neither can humans. Not sure if you've seen what happens to a human shot out an airlock, without a space suit, but it isn't pretty.

Anyway, the maelstrom, the inky blackness, was actually taken down by the gravity canons, not the cold. And I should point out that it was not just cold, but mana suction also. Tom was using the doomnet to suck all the heat out, AND, all the mana. Being agents of Chaos, the Knights, with sufficient mana should be able to warm themselves, and shield themselves, but Tom was actually sucking the mana out of the region also, thus depriving them of the ability to get more mana, and possibly even stealing mana they had.

So in someways, it was not unlike what happened to the avatars and Orcus, in interdiction regions. The difference was, that was cutting off energy from other planes, in this case it was sucking up all the mana in the region, keeping them from getting more, or at least slowing them down enough so that they could be weakened and killed.

It wasn't the cold so much that killed them, it was literally Talarius, D'Orcs and Sekmekt's forces. Tom just weakened them enough so they could be more effective.

As far as where the shaman would be to see the maelstrom, that depends on what adjacent planes, etherial and astral etc. it exists on. In terms of what a shaman can see from M-space...I am going to leave that for OOA, where that is an important factor in the story.

Offline D'il  
#17 Posted : Monday, July 29, 2019 2:02:44 AM(UTC)
D'il

Hi Tizz,

I have to agree with you that there are just too many variables involved to say for sure how Knights of Chaos might react to any specific environmental/attack conditions.

I've always thought that the depiction of a human in a vacuum portrayed by Arnold Schwarzenegger near the end of Total Recall was pretty good, although I think it would be a bit messier in reality. I just realized that place he was in was sort of like Mount Doom on Mars. Maybe it was a Doomalogue?

I still think you should ask Trig Bioblast to dangle some bacon off the back of the OCSS ScullCrusher to see if it microwaves or freeze-dries. Think

Cheers,

D'il
Offline Tizzy  
#18 Posted : Monday, July 29, 2019 4:33:53 AM(UTC)
Tizzy

Of course, you realize that was exactly what I was thinking when I wrote that.

I have to admit, that in my very short life, I have never actually tried dunking a human in interstellar vacuum to see what happens. I know, I know, we all have our regrets and our 'bucket list.' So that is my reference point.

I do sort of wish we had a Doomalogue on Mars. It's a very nice planet, tad chilly, but the landscape is very homey. And no fireballs. Not sure if that's a good or bad thing. They are very pretty, but also a bit distracting.

Actually, I did the bacon thing myself. Took about 3.234 million years to get it crunchy but...very tasty....a tad time consuming though.
Offline D'il  
#19 Posted : Monday, July 29, 2019 8:54:51 AM(UTC)
D'il

Originally Posted by: Tizzy Go to Quoted Post

Actually, I did the bacon thing myself. Took about 3.234 million years to get it crunchy but...very tasty....a tad time consuming though.

Now you wouldn't be giving your age away would you Tizzy? Shhh

Edited by user Monday, July 29, 2019 8:56:01 AM(UTC)  | Reason: emote

Offline Tizzy  
#20 Posted : Monday, July 29, 2019 2:31:47 PM(UTC)
Tizzy

Originally Posted by: D' Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Tizzy Go to Quoted Post

Now you wouldn't be giving your age away would you Tizzy? Shhh

Not at all! That would be impossible for me to do, since I have no idea how old I am! I've just been as long as I have been, no longer, no less. In fact, I can honestly say that I don't remember a time when I wasn't. Thus I have no idea when I started, since I can't remember anything before that time.