The Council ForumTizzy Talk

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
9 Pages«<56789>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Lodrik  
#121 Posted : Sunday, July 2, 2017 7:33:33 PM(UTC)
Lodrik

Groups: ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

you are many things, simple is NOT among them Tizzy ^-
Offline Tizzy  
#122 Posted : Sunday, July 2, 2017 7:59:52 PM(UTC)
Tizzy

Groups: Administrators, AoD Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 47 time(s) in 44 post(s)
Angel That is so nice of you!

Although there are a few deities out there who beg to differ. They keep referring to me as that octopal simpleton! Cursing
Offline Dungeon Roomba  
#123 Posted : Monday, July 3, 2017 6:01:48 PM(UTC)
Dungeon Roomba

Groups: AoD Beta Demon, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Well, Tizzy, you do have four arms and four legs, and so many things are simple for you. Maybe that's what they mean?
Gelatinous Cube
(aka Dungeon Roomba)

"Because there's always a 10x10-foot room for Jell-O"
Offline Tizzy  
#124 Posted : Monday, July 3, 2017 6:24:57 PM(UTC)
Tizzy

Groups: Administrators, AoD Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Blink
Confused
Huh

Had not thought about that. It would be a logical explanation...perhaps the sneering tone they delivered those remarks was indicative of their pride, i.e. because things were not so simple for them, they had to pretend disdain for someone who was more capable of them?

Mellow

Will have to think about this.
Offline Zeravar  
#125 Posted : Monday, July 3, 2017 8:03:42 PM(UTC)
Zeravar

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

They also might just be thinking that smoking all that Demon Weed is ruining your brain and that you, therefore, cannot think as well as others who don't constantly smoke.
Offline Tizzy  
#126 Posted : Tuesday, July 4, 2017 3:08:33 PM(UTC)
Tizzy

OhMyGod

That is so ridiculous demon weed makes you ultraclear! It makes you so clear that all the engrams flee your body! Of course, it also "clears" your personality and consciousness from your body, but that's just an added benefit!

ThumpUp
Offline Lix Tetrax  
#127 Posted : Tuesday, October 3, 2017 1:45:40 PM(UTC)
Lix Tetrax

Groups: Registered, Unverified Users

I find it kind of strange that Tom has not tried to hook up with anyone yet as he came across as a teenage boy. I get he is mature but unless becoming a demon changed him that much and destroyed his sex drive (arguably should do the reverse) it is really really weird that he has not boned anyone.
Offline Tizzy  
#128 Posted : Tuesday, October 3, 2017 10:30:44 PM(UTC)
Tizzy

Well, Reggie certainly lost no time. His urges seems to be in oversexdrive. But then he is an incubus

However, I will point out that Tom has not mentioned having a girl friend or much of any friends back on Earth, so maybe he's like one of those guys living across the hall from the sexy waitress in Pasadena while working as physicists...

I can say that as a rule, most new demons don't get much action. Most start off with pretty solitary lives for a few decades or centuries, hanging in their caves by night, slaving away during the day. It generally takes them time to meet other demons, particularly demonettes.

And I can categorically say from personal experiences that demonettes are very hard to get. I'm pretty convinced that demonettes don't like sex for some reason. Trust me, I have tried just about every trick in the book and had very little luck.

And let's be fair, if someone as handsome, suave and witty as me has trouble wooing a demonette, just think how many more problems someone without all my gifts would have.
Offline Lix Tetrax  
#129 Posted : Wednesday, October 4, 2017 1:37:53 AM(UTC)
Lix Tetrax

He is essentially a demon prince second only to the Conco-Tizzy, and arguably Lilith or Dadd-Sam.

Having a girl on earth true he dident but now he is a powerful demon god spawn. soooo he could get people just based on that i am sure. There should be people like Gastrophie except female in his life. Maybe he doesn't notice but it should be there.

It kinda seems unrealistic that no one is trying to sleep with him to sway his mind or or anyone just generally attracted to the Demon because he is apparently attractive.

Absolute power corrupts absolutely so i am hoping that aspect is explored in some detail.
Offline Tizzy  
#130 Posted : Wednesday, October 4, 2017 2:12:16 AM(UTC)
Tizzy

>It kinda seems unrealistic that no one is trying to sleep with him to sway his mind or or anyone just generally attracted to the Demon because he is apparently attractive.

Who says there isn't someone, and Tom is just nerdblivious to it?

Now part of this is that T-A-G is retelling the actual events mostly from Tom's PoV, but I can assure you that Tamarin very much wants to sleep with Tom, but he's just not getting the hint, and he has something of a Major Nelson complex, which is logical I suppose since she looks like Barbara Eden's Jeanie.

The reason young djinn sign up have a master is because they want to experience the material world and all material pleasures, nearly all djinn sleep with their masters, Crispin is not an exception, he's more the rule. She has hinted at this, but he just didn't get it. Also remember, she purposefully looked for a memory of his that was attractive and logically appropriate.

One reason that Tamarin finds Vaselle so interesting is that he is Tom's warlock and thus a proxy for Tom. She wants to sleep with Tom, but he's being very clueless.

I can also say that I've noted some interesting glances from Zelda as well. She is recently widowed (within 10 years or so) and relative to most of the immortals is near his age (within a couple decades--as is Tamarin)

Offline Dungeon Roomba  
#131 Posted : Thursday, October 5, 2017 1:14:46 PM(UTC)
Dungeon Roomba

Groups: AoD Beta Demon, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Oh, Glorious Frabjous Day! Maybe...
Gelatinous Cube
(aka Dungeon Roomba)

Offline Mikey  
#132 Posted : Thursday, October 5, 2017 7:42:07 PM(UTC)
Mikey

Groups: AoD Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 30 time(s) in 30 post(s)
Love:

Edited by user Thursday, October 5, 2017 7:44:31 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Blah64  
#133 Posted : Sunday, October 8, 2017 2:09:50 AM(UTC)
Blah64

I am late to this topic, but I have been very happy that there has been no love interest for Tom. He kinda has bigger problems to deal with.

His lack of love interest has actually stuck in my mind as a great aspect of the story. But I usually greatly dislike the coupling side of stories, and often just skip over those parts.

Although, I do realize that many people like those parts and thus it doesn't normally negatively affect my opinion too greatly since it is so common. As an asexual I can never relate to them and they just feel dumb and counter productive to the protagonist's goals, so it has been nice to see a story without that side.
Offline Dirk Flamberge  
#134 Posted : Sunday, October 8, 2017 6:21:20 AM(UTC)
Dirk Flamberge

Groups: ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I feel sorry for you.
Offline The Author Guy  
#135 Posted : Monday, October 9, 2017 12:07:07 AM(UTC)
The Author Guy

Groups: Administrators, AoD Beta Demon, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 109 time(s) in 86 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Blah64 Go to Quoted Post
He kinda has bigger problems to deal with.

That has actually sort of been my official position, as I've tried to bring up, while it's a lot of words, it's not a lot of time.

By the end of Book 3, Tom has been a demon for about 3 months Earth time. During which time he's gone from hated slave to demon hero stuck in a cave with a hostage to suddenly lord of Mount Doom and savior of the Orcs and D'Orcs, been attacked by Lilith, a Chaos Maelstrom, met and had dinner with the Egyptian gods, engaged in a battle with an overwhelming Undead Army with a group of immortals whom he feels very uncomfortable around (for many reasons).

Romance (vs booty calls like Reggie does) takes time in real life and even in the books, it's a complex dance, a courtship and is often (in books/movies) a quest of its own.

When it happens, it needs to be right, and for the moment there are no obvious options (or are there?) even if the option is there, there needs to be time for it, etc.

One big impediment is that there are a LOT of misconceptions and perceived power imbalances that come along. These make romance difficult even when there is time. Think of Notting Hill (which was on cable this morning normal guy dating movie star) now magnify it by a lot. Anyone that would be a social/political peer would probably be thousands of years old and have who knows what motivations? And Tom is too scary/awe inspiring for someone who is his age/internal peer group.

So, it is tricky, and there is a lot to overcome to move such a storyline along. It can be done, however; it just can't be done quickly or it will feel forced.

However, I can say, that those looking for a more traditional coming of age, romance story, that will be there in CoA:ITW. I sort of think of it as Jane Austen does swamp dragons, orcs, pterosaurs and I'iskatha.

Edited by user Monday, October 9, 2017 12:07:58 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Lix Tetrax  
#136 Posted : Tuesday, October 10, 2017 1:30:41 PM(UTC)
Lix Tetrax

In response to the Author Guy, Maybe that should be addressed in a Book then because if he is any part teenage boy still and not a mature adult man or completely focused Demon Prince then it would be way more realistic to be focused the way he has been. Then get completely side tracked often because he should be flooded with Hormones that constantly are saying Screw that person, And that one, and that one, and those 4.

Its kinda unnatural that he has not, Also with getting all this power the fact that he has not even considered taking what he wants and having some moral debate over it, Even a few sentences is a little strange. Maybe that part of the character but with every other character being complex it also makes sense that someone would seduce him even for a night or he would just fall into a hook up.

Especially now that he has Food, Water, Warmth, Rest, just because he is a Demon that will always be covered. He now has Safety and Security which is provided by a Legion of arch demons and Fellow gods and a Bottomless Prison filled with "Do not even think of messing with mes's". He also has friends.... the next on the hierarchy of needs is Intimate Relationships. He already skipped that and is achieving Prestige and Self Actualization.

It just seems to be a clear thing that is missing in an otherwise well developed world with well rounded characters.

*I am not interested in a coming of age romance story, but the fact that there is nothing at all for him might mean he is Asexual or there is some weird magic happening to him

Edited by user Tuesday, October 10, 2017 1:32:38 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Dungeon Roomba  
#137 Posted : Tuesday, October 10, 2017 6:41:40 PM(UTC)
Dungeon Roomba

Nah, like TAG says, there's just been no time. I've noticed in my own life that "personal cube-to-cube time" usually happens when we're not sliding around like we've had our pseudopods cut off. When RL gets busy, we don't.

In one of these books, Tom's just going to have to take a week off, and when he does...

Well, let's just say I doubt Mount Doom will the ONLY thing to erupt. <jiggle,jaggle>

Gelatinous Cube
(aka Dungeon Roomba)

Offline Tizzy  
#138 Posted : Thursday, October 12, 2017 1:57:35 AM(UTC)
Tizzy

Having read the books gives me more insight into Tom than I get hanging around him...which seems odd, but then I can't read his internal dialogue without a copy of the books.

But I think many people arguing that he's not acting like a teenage boy is sort of missing a few points. The big one being that he's no longer a teenage boy, he's an immortal and there are other factors at work.

First though, his emotional state has been anywhere from freaked to depressed to paranoid and anxious. Right now he feels that he is perpetrating a huge lie, first to the D'Orcs, then Orcs, and now to the Etonians, and he's scared he's going to be caught/found out. He is also afraid of failing them all, particularly the little guys (he's got some issues on this front--note his reluctance to break Rupert's illusion about Tom being his father)

Fear and anxiety trump sexual desire in anyone of any age.

Also, you guys do know he is not a biological person right?

He's (and me's and all immortals) an energy construct, a being of pure animus that wraps itself in a material form?

He doesn't actually have hormones...he only has them if/when he wants to have them, sort of like eating, pooping, breathing and sleeping (except at Mount Doom where competition for the mana generators sort of force the issue at least for sleeping and recovering mana)

Yes, by default, he previously had them, so they would be naturally turned on (plus everyone knows demons are sexual pervs so there is that component-->see volume 1, initial summoning, giant phalus and Jenn's reactions) but...

The thing is, if his mental state is preoccupied by other things, other emotions, then any faux hormones that would normally be generated (because he and others thinks he has them) would likely be suppressed.

Finally, again book 1: Part of his form is determined by what other believe about him. People who convince themselves he is Orcus expect to see Orcus and while not like an initial summoning (where it is very intense) it does have an effect, albeit much smaller. Of course, I should note that this can be a real problem for some gods (more so than demons--people worshiping an idol and seriously concentrating on who/what they believe you to be, is pretty potent--particularly if you are sucking up their emotionally charged mana at the same-->hence the mana cleansing rituals the avatars do), and just thinking about it often makes them paranoid as to is it me, or what my followers expect?

But anyway, how belief shapes immortals will be discussed much more. Actually, Tom and a certain previously missing member of the Tartarvardenennead will be discussing it and similar topics in v.IV (very early on too)

But anyway, I digress, the point being is that Tom and other demons all have real emotional needs, however, physical needs are technically a luxury that we can choose to indulge in or not (mostly/sort of/sometimes--for example book 1, his rage and instinct to kill was that him or was that expectation)

The thing is, "it's complex"
Offline Mikey  
#139 Posted : Friday, October 13, 2017 8:36:04 PM(UTC)
Mikey

Groups: AoD Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 30 time(s) in 30 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Tizzy Go to Quoted Post
Also, you guys do know he is not a biological person right?

Offline Tizzy  
#140 Posted : Friday, October 13, 2017 9:36:02 PM(UTC)
Tizzy

Laibach! Every D'Orcs favorite faux fascist Slovenian industrial band!

Very surprised Melania didn't invite them to play the inauguration, she's a fellow countryman, and I am certain her husband would appreciate their style.

However, back to this song.

To truly appreciate what a fantastic job Laibach has done with this song, one needs to see the original Opus version:

Scared Shudder