The Council ForumTizzy Talk

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
2 Pages12>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Malacai  
#1 Posted : Saturday, September 10, 2016 12:02:11 AM(UTC)
Malacai

Groups: AoD Beta Demon, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

If we refer back to the first book, Tom's new, demon body is built with animus and mana, rather than or used to build conventional matter (atoms, molecules, and whatnot). After all, regular matter doesn't dissipate if it's not attendee to, nor is it easy to build.

So, in a mana poor world like Earth, normal demons can't exist in corporeal bodies. At least, not for long. Additionally, the disbelief at demons would probably force those not in human form out of existence.

However, Tom has neither of these problems. He has a human form/body, so he won't be disbelieved. He also has a direct line to a mana pool at Mount Doom. He even has friends who can invite themselves into the dreams of women on earth and then probably summon him (Reggie) as well as a friend who had been to earth before after demonization (Tizzy). So, if he really wanted, could Tom go back to earth and live like normal? Would he have the same fingerprints and DNA as he did before?
Offline Iume  
#2 Posted : Saturday, September 10, 2016 2:26:32 AM(UTC)
Iume

Groups: AoD Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 41 time(s) in 41 post(s)
Tom's demon body is currently the same as his human-form body (as opposed to his original human body). If he can't manifest as a demon on Earth I doubt he could manifest his human-form body.
Offline The Author Guy  
#3 Posted : Saturday, September 10, 2016 2:57:54 PM(UTC)
The Author Guy

Groups: Administrators, AoD Beta Demon, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 109 time(s) in 86 post(s)
Well....the big issue is how to manifest there due to lack of mana.

This is discussed some in the books and in the forums about how demons have to do this and the use of incubuses to collect mana to summon demons etc.

But, in the end, its a lot like Tizzy says when discussing how people pop up in the abyss. Do they come in spiritually or physically.

If Tom could get a portal to Earth and walk through it with a body, he could go there. But to incarnate there, form a new body (as with a summoning) he would need a lot of mana.

Summoning/incarnating is the fade in/fade out approach. Going through a gateway/hole is the bodily approach.

So again he would just need a gateway to get there, at least in the short term.

The big problem with a gateway to Earth is that they do take a lot of energy, so it requires very very efficient wizardry and is thus complicated.

On the other hand, one could use a Technological gateway, a multidimensional wormhole and do it.

Those things required very advanced technology that would be alien on Earth today, and a crap load of energy. Even more energy than a Star Gate. You'd need something bigger than a Star Gate, more complex, with multi-dimensional capabilities.

So where would Tom find one of those? Lying around in the attic? How believable would that be. Whistle

Actually, the problem is more like, where is the one on the other side? On Earth. World Gates can open/end in a Star Gate, but Star Gates cannot dial back to a World Gate. They don't have enough symbols/power/outbound technology. So even if you end up in the basement of a pyramid in Egypt, you are sort of stuck once the Star Gate closes.

Offline Malacai  
#4 Posted : Saturday, September 10, 2016 3:36:37 PM(UTC)
Malacai

Hmm. Well, Tom won't be doing this anytime soon, as he feels too responsible to strand himself out in the magical boonies, but when he does...

Could he use the portal to walk there, leave his body in some sort of suspended animation, and then incarnate back in the Abyss? Then, when he wants to go home, he can just fill up his body again?

The problem with incarnating there is that there isn't enough mana. But you can get there via the World Gate. However, the problem with leaving with the World Gate is that Star Gates can't connect to World Gates. So, either he gets a phone so that he can call and ask someone on the other side to open the World Gate for him, or he incarnates back in the Abyss. The incarnation would probably be a last resort, since if he wanted to leave a body on Earth, he would have to sacrifice a lot of mana.
Offline Puck  
#5 Posted : Saturday, September 10, 2016 4:22:48 PM(UTC)
Puck

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Reggie
Offline The Author Guy  
#6 Posted : Saturday, September 10, 2016 5:34:44 PM(UTC)
The Author Guy

Groups: Administrators, AoD Beta Demon, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Reggie could come have dream sex with Tom. Not sure either would like that but...

No but you hit on it. Shamanism will certainly work, particularly if you have a bit of demon weed. Trained animages/shamans etc can easily get to the astral plane, and lesser trained ones can do it with herbal assistance, demon weed is the most potent.

If you knew where you were going, you could find your way anywhere in the Planes of Men from there the trouble is where to go.

That is actually where the summoning stones come in. You can use summoning stones as end point links and follow them to other planes where another shaman/animage/druid/sorcerer/whatever is with a stone and talk to them/make contact. That is what Tal Gor did.

Interestingly enough, this is how many technical races communicate FTL in tech worlds. A huge part of Trig Bioblast's responsibilities on board ship is as both a a communications officer and an assistant for navigation. Shamans use summoning stones to communicate between starships light years apart.

Think of the stones used in Stargate. Particularly Stargate Universe, people in different galaxies could communicate with them.
Offline Korwin  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, November 2, 2016 10:27:35 AM(UTC)
Korwin

Groups: AoD Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Malacai Go to Quoted Post
Additionally, the disbelief at demons would probably force those not in human form out of existence.
I'm pretty shure disbelief is not an issue.
(You may be contamined by Mage the Ascencion)

Offline Mikey  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, November 2, 2016 11:18:19 AM(UTC)
Mikey

Groups: AoD Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 30 time(s) in 30 post(s)
Originally Posted by: The Author Guy Go to Quoted Post
So where would Tom find one of those? Lying around in the attic? How believable would that be. Whistle

How would Reggie have not mentioned the World Gate trip to the moon to Tom yet?

Sure, Reggie is in heaven, but kids of seventeen would still want to reach out to their parents, so they won't grieve for decades.

Edited by user Wednesday, November 2, 2016 11:20:54 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline The Author Guy  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, November 2, 2016 3:14:12 PM(UTC)
The Author Guy

Originally Posted by: Mikey Go to Quoted Post
Sure, Reggie is in heaven, but kids of seventeen would still want to reach out to their parents, so they won't grieve for decades.

That's actually a very good point.

Of course, the World Gate requires either another World Gate or a Star Gate on the other side.

We know that there was a Star Gate in Egypt, but what if the US military has confiscated it and using it for secret space travel missions etc.

Also, there is the problem that on Earth, he might not have enough mana to look like himself. And even if he did, it would really freak people out, they saw him buried, and then he's got lots of explaining to do.

But, problems aside, it is definitely something he should consider/discuss.

Reggie, on the other hand would probably be too embarrassed to go back.

Of course, imagine the shock, for Tom, if Tom works up a huge story to explain his death to his mom, all nervous, goes back, walks in the door and his mom said

"Oh, Hi Tom! Back from the Abyss so soon? I figured you be there at least a decade before coming back. You father (the scientist) said you'd be very busy fighting gods and such."

--NOT going to happen though...
Offline Mikey  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, November 2, 2016 7:22:25 PM(UTC)
Mikey

Groups: AoD Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Hand the government a kilogram of gold for a couple of agents to go see their parents, pass on a couple of letters, and explain that they're definitely not dead, just involved in something top secret - sorry for those funeras, but they had to "die" to stay safe, it'll be safe to come back to meet you in a few years...

Quote:
"Oh, Hi Tom! Back from the Abyss so soon? I figured you be there at least a decade before coming back. You father (the scientist) said you'd be very busy fighting gods and such."

That would be satisfying.

Edited by user Wednesday, November 2, 2016 7:26:16 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline The Author Guy  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, November 2, 2016 8:52:26 PM(UTC)
The Author Guy

Hand the government a kilogram of gold for a couple of agents to go see their parents, pass on a couple of letters, and explain that they're definitely not dead, just involved in something top secret - sorry for those funeras, but they had to "die" to stay safe, it'll be safe to come back to meet you in a few years...

That sounds like what they did on Star Gate: Universe

Offline Mikey  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, November 2, 2016 8:54:39 PM(UTC)
Mikey

Couldn't force myself through more than an episode of the Star Gate series.

The movie was an OK way to kill a paid sick leave day.
Offline The Author Guy  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, November 2, 2016 9:24:32 PM(UTC)
The Author Guy

You should try the SGU series.

I was the same way. Really never liked the other two series.

SGU is completely different.

A very cranky, brilliant and ultimately hurting/haunting genius, working for the government on translating star gate runes and technology needs help to decode a new set of extra runes found on a stargate found a distant world.

So the government setups a video game that requires one to solve one of the runes to completely win.

The winner is this young,overweight young nerd, living at home with his dying mother.

They tell him about the SG program (and the fact that space travel is real and there are lots of aliens) and recruit him to help decode the new stuff.

They drag him to the distant Star Gate, which is a huge project with all sorts of bigwigs and dignitaries.

Star Gate uses the planet's core to operate because it requires incredibly massive energy. They get gate open. Alien enemies attack, everyone is forced to jump through the gate to who knows where before the planet blows up.

Long story short (first episode) the gate leads to a seeding starship in a distant galaxy, the unmanned ship is depositing star gates on distant worlds, and waiting for the ancients to show up and take over the expedition. They never showed, ship is hundreds of thousands of years old and decrepit barely has life support.

Now these people, divided into different factions: scientists, military, dignataries are trapped millions of light years from home with no way back. But they do have these stones that they can use to astral project back home. (Brought them with them)

So the entire story takes place on this dying ship which is mostly in hyperspace, but periodically drops out, and the people use local gates to try to find a habitable planet to live on, or just get basic supplies to live on.

Tensions builds, intrigue builds, it's a very tense drama.

I actually think it's one of the best space travel dramas out there.

thanks 1 user thanked The Author Guy for this useful post.
Lodrik on 6/12/2017(UTC)
Offline The Author Guy  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, November 2, 2016 9:29:50 PM(UTC)
The Author Guy

The big problem for SGU was that it was the SG for people who didn't like the SG series...unfortunately that meant that the loyal watchers of the SG series, didn't like SGU. Last 2 seasons.
Offline Iume  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, November 2, 2016 9:43:02 PM(UTC)
Iume

That would be me. Loved SG-1, middling about SG-A, and disliked SGU which is weird because I liked Battlestar Galactica and SGU was similar.

In fact I've been rewatching SG-1 for the past several months. A couple episodes a week is a decent pace.

Another thing to consider is the when SG-1 came out vs. when SGU came out.

SG-1 was 1997-2007. Hercules the Legendary Journeys was 1995-1999. Xena: Warrior Princess was 1995-2001. A lot of the early seasons of SG-1 were set on primitive planets that share a lot of design aesthetic of Hercules and Xena. Later SG-1 seasons have a different off-world aesthetic that carried over to Stargate Atlantis, but with so much of SGU being on-ship and after the endings of shows like Lost and BSG I just didn't want get invested in SGU.
Offline Mikey  
#16 Posted : Wednesday, November 2, 2016 9:45:22 PM(UTC)
Mikey

Does it have scenes as good as this?

My perspective of the situation is that TV programming is so frustratingly bad that I've had no problems living without a TV set for the last 10 years.
Good thing you can get The West Wing, The Wire, the first seasons of Dexter and House MD, Firefly, MASH, the House of Cards UK/US, Party Down, etc. on your average iPad.

Edited by user Wednesday, November 2, 2016 10:54:52 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline The Author Guy  
#17 Posted : Wednesday, November 2, 2016 10:58:32 PM(UTC)
The Author Guy

I never watched SGA, but I have to say the SGU, Earth/Alien situation is much better than SG1 early seasons (I only got through season 1). That universe, I would also be willing to know more about. (i.e. stuff happening before they go through stargate)
Offline The Author Guy  
#18 Posted : Wednesday, November 2, 2016 10:59:58 PM(UTC)
The Author Guy

Do you really think it is fair to put stuff up against the Wire?

Do you do Netflix?
Offline Iume  
#19 Posted : Wednesday, November 2, 2016 11:54:41 PM(UTC)
Iume

I never watched SGA, but I have to say the SGU, Earth/Alien situation is much better than SG1 early seasons (I only got through season 1). That universe, I would also be willing to know more about. (i.e. stuff happening before they go through stargate)

Oh that makes sense. Season 1 was a bit slapdash as they tried to feel their way through it. I started watching in season 2 or 3. It gets a LOT better with late season 2 / early season 3. The story is more cohesive, there is direction.
Offline Mikey  
#20 Posted : Thursday, November 3, 2016 12:17:57 AM(UTC)
Mikey

Quote:
Reggie, on the other hand would probably be too embarrassed to go back.

Not even for the chance to score with whomever had scorned his advances previously, or been out of his reach?

Do you really think it is fair to put stuff up against the Wire?

Do you do Netflix?

I unsubbed after having watched everything interesting available on the local edition of Netflix.

Fair? After watching enough of a series to feel that I've gotten a representative sample, I ask myself did the writers and producers fully subscribe to H. L. Mencken's maxim

H. L. Mencken wrote:
No one in this world, so far as I know—and I have researched the records for years, and employed agents to help me—has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.

and subsequently made the conscious (note the correct usage of the word "conscious") decision to disrespect me as a member of their audience.