The Council ForumTizzy Talk

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
3 Pages123>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Iume  
#1 Posted : Monday, December 7, 2015 5:16:26 AM(UTC)
Iume

Groups: AoD Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 41 time(s) in 41 post(s)
I never thought of these during the beta read, but now that I've had weeks upon weeks to let everything settle and be stirred by other thoughts I had some very interesting to wonder about.

#1 - New Eton is governed by 5 powers -- the crown and the 4 main gods. Presumably the emperor has enough political power to be separate from the church of Torean. So, what exactly is going back home after Tom's little adventurer? None of the other gods or their servants are getting involved?

#2 - What are the creation myths of Astlan given that you can talk to gods and ask? What is the Church of Tiernon's version? All we've got is Aetherus created the multiverse -- the end. Where does the Abyss fit in this? Is Aetherus's creation more like Judeo-Christian (god & world are separate) or more like Greek/Egpytian/Norse mythology (world is part of the body of a primordial being which may or may not still be alive). What is the Council's opinion on the matter?

#3 - Civilization seems to be slowly developing. Much slower than Earth. I suppose the occasional godly scuffle can set mortal progress back quite a bit, but are there any deliberate attempts by higher powers to prevent a technological civilization from rising? Book 2 seems to indicate that Astlan is for whatever reason rather static.
Offline The Author Guy  
#2 Posted : Monday, December 7, 2015 5:32:51 PM(UTC)
The Author Guy

Groups: Administrators, AoD Beta Demon, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 109 time(s) in 86 post(s)
Hi,

Good points, here's my thoughts:

#1 New Etonia is governed by the Holy Etonian Emperor and the 4 High Pontificates of each church. Very important to note this isn't the same as the gods.

One thing we started to see in book ii was that the "Church" and the "Heavens" aren't always on the same page. In book II, Hilda etal basically doesn't trust the "Church" to be honest in accounting for the screw up. We will start to see more detail on this in book iii as Stevos and Teragdor have to work with the church offices to setup ground operations to watch for a D'Orc invasion. Basically the heavens and the church are not currently talking to each other.

We also see this in the fact that the Church in its alliance with Oorstemoth has not at all mentioned said operation to the Heavens. You can be absolutely certain that if the Archons knew about the Inferno and a planned church invasion of the Abyss, they would (will) have a freak out.

There are huge Compacts regulating interaction between pantheons and the Abyss. Lillith and friends are in clear/huge violation of this already and Oorstemoth, Church of Tiernon in Astlan are going to also violate it.

But back to the Council. A lot depends on the current members of the Council and the current Emperor in terms of the balance of power. We will start to see some of this in book iii...but I am not sure when/how exactly it comes in.

There is a lot of interesting stuff going on, but including it gets distracting to a lot of people (see too many POV/storylines) I am debating on how to spin off other shorter "sideline" series (E.g. The Seas of Astlan for the Captain Asmeth story cut from book ii). Who knows some of it may not get told until after the fact.

#2 This is actually a good question and stuff that should go into the library. I don't have all that written yet, nor resolved with it. I've been a bit more focused on the Abyss' creation mythology and the other stories and trying to reconcile all with the "real" story of creation or some version of it that could be consistent across multiple religions.

The idea for me, of course, is to make them semi-consistent with specific pantheon versions focusing on their side of the story. This is something that was always complicated when different societies merged and their pantheons had to be reconciled historically. Unfortunately, when there is NO question that the deities are real people, you can't just easily write them off and forget the ones that are inconvenient to your narrative.

#3 Actually, civilization in Astlan is evolving very differently than on Earth, but is not static. The last few thousand years have seen a lot of progress thanks to better formalization and dissemination of wizardry across the globe. So from a technology point of view, Astlan is pretty close to on par with Earth, but with Wizardry being the Technology.

What is not so evolved is the democratic distribution of that technology, that is slower, but still better than it used to be. Astlan has very high levels of income and wizardry inequality. Wizardy works very well for the rich and powerful, but the trickle down to the masses is much slower/worse than technology on earth.

This is in large part because of politics and this is because Astlan is still pretty feudal and that is because they have some serious disparities in power between individuals. E.g. Gods, Archdemons, Clerics, Super Wizards, Anilords etc all are hugely powerful, and don't require an industrial base.

That was the big thing on Earth. In order for the Nation Powers to advance and get more powerful, they had to build powerful industrial bases which in turn led to more wealth distribution and democratization of power.

In Astlan, Gods, Demigods, Elves and Dwarves etc (with their advanced technology) and the Anilords and powerful wizards did not require the same industrial base in order to lay waste to their enemies. There were/are still huge inequalities in power.

It's these huge inequalities that make Astlan seem backward or more static than Earth. It's like urban vs rural in much of the second and third worlds of Earth. In large parts of our world, there are very advanced cities with iphones, high speed internet, MTV, but in the countryside you have people using oxen and living by candles or lanterns and cooking on wooden fires.

North Korea is one rather insane example of this but you see it a lot in other regions as well.
Offline Iume  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, December 8, 2015 12:47:23 AM(UTC)
Iume

Groups: AoD Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Originally Posted by: The Author Guy Go to Quoted Post
Hi,
There is a lot of interesting stuff going on, but including it gets distracting to a lot of people (see too many POV/storylines) I am debating on how to spin off other shorter "sideline" series (E.g. The Seas of Astlan for the Captain Asmeth story cut from book ii). Who knows some of it may not get told until after the fact.

I remember arguing about this in the beta read. Are you considering short stories to supplement the things that happen during the main story?

If so, here are some things (pre, during, and post) I'd pay to read about:
- The final days of Orcus
- The theft of the book
- Side adventures of characters we've met (Asmeth, Jenn, Gastrope)
- A POV story from one the D'Orcs
- Orcs in spaaaaaaaaaaace dealing with the rise of Tommus
- An anilord story

---

You know, by the title "Heaven's Host" if I had not read the beta I'd have expected the book to be about Hilda with Tom as the side character and it was that way in the first half of the book. Then it switched to Tom with Hilda as a side character.
Offline The Author Guy  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, December 9, 2015 12:24:46 AM(UTC)
The Author Guy

Groups: Administrators, AoD Beta Demon, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Yeah that was basically the intention with the title; but as comments revealed I had to get a strong Tom story in as well. But really, the distribution of action from first half to half was due to Tom being in the cave, which was very boring, so the Hilda story (hopefully not boring) took front and center. Otherwise it would probably have been more evenly balanced.

Yes, on the short stories or novellas; the other "series" I am percolating on are:

• Seas of Astlan: (First book tentatively called: Red Sky at Dawn)
    Asmeth, and the guys who stole the book which could then spin off the backstory of the heist. Starts by expanding on deleted book II material. Who knows I suppose I could start going all the way back to the heist but then this book gets to be as long as a DoA volume.

• Chronicles of Astlan: (no title for v1 yet)
    This is the story of Kristof Torson, Prince of Etonia; the youngest son of the Holy Etonian Emperor who is currently planned to show up in DoA III, or IV at the latest.

• Oak Orcs of the Antilles:
    This is the story of Trig Bioblast, one of Tom's shamans who is: Second Shaman of the OCSS SkullCrusher (Oak Clan Starship Slayer)

• Legends of Astlan:
    Short story collections and novels of historical events in Astlan/localverse

• Tales of the Demon Bard:
    This is Antefalken's story(ies) not sure on overlap between this and Legends of Astlan, I might have Antefalken narrate LoA stories, in which case these merge.

Some of these I see as short novels that I write while subject to writer's block on the main story.

Anilord stories would be either of the later ones.

Also as I've mentioned, I'd like to see about others writing in the universe either as free fan fiction or as anthologies or "official/canonical" jointly published work.

Edited by user Wednesday, December 9, 2015 12:26:40 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked The Author Guy for this useful post.
Dungeon Roomba on 12/9/2015(UTC)
Offline Dungeon Roomba  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, December 9, 2015 2:50:23 PM(UTC)
Dungeon Roomba

Groups: AoD Beta Demon, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Ooooh, Oak Orcs of the Antilles sounds really interesting. It would be especially neat to see what people (specifically orcs) think about Tommus from outside. Also, it would be VERY interesting to see if Trig could pull mana from Tom like a...priest. Heheheheh.

I imagine that would definitely kickstart The Church of the Dark Lord Tommus. <jiggle>

Naturally, Oooorcs in SPAAAAAAACE would be cool anyway.

Seas of Astlan will be interesting. PIRATES! ARRR! I could listen to the Pirates of the Caribbean soundtrack while reading it!

Kristof Torson. I hope he's either a non-typical Prince of Awesome, or the Annoying Super-Prince Archetype.

Originally Posted by: Iume Go to Quoted Post
A POV story from one the D'Orcs

Oh, now THAT's an idea. OR, maybe Lesteroth or Bellyachus will join Tom's crew, and get paired with a D'Orc. Think of all the adventures! Like a demonic Lethal Weapon. Which is Riggs, and which is Murtaugh?

Edited by user Wednesday, December 9, 2015 2:54:25 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Gelatinous Cube
(aka Dungeon Roomba)

"Because there's always a 10x10-foot room for Jell-O"
Offline Tizzy  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, December 9, 2015 4:35:08 PM(UTC)
Tizzy

Groups: Administrators, AoD Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 47 time(s) in 44 post(s)
I have no idea who this Kristof guy is...OK...maybe a little. I've got stuff from T-A-G to post in the Library. Look for new information to follow last nights map update later today.

You can maybe tell a little now from the House of Torson family tree which went up yesterday; the map update had names for the larger towns in the Wilds of Eton and a section on it is coming today.

Of course, Iume knows what happens to Lesteroth and Bellyachus...it was in the earlier drafts but got moved to the beginning of book iii

But it won't spoil too much by telling you that they will be back in Volume III.

In fact I just came from where they are and Bellyachus was living up to his name....

Oh, they were able to get his head out of his butt though! I suppose that's the important thing. But jeez those horns of his really had to hurt going in, and coming out.
Offline Tizzy  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, December 9, 2015 4:36:16 PM(UTC)
Tizzy

Groups: Administrators, AoD Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Very weird. My picture is missing in that last post?

Think
Offline Dungeon Roomba  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, December 9, 2015 5:06:59 PM(UTC)
Dungeon Roomba

Groups: AoD Beta Demon, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Originally Posted by: Tizzy Go to Quoted Post
In fact I just came from where they are and Bellyachus was living up to his name....

Oh, they were able to get his head out of his butt though!I suppose that's the important thing.But jeez those horns of his really had to hurt going in, and coming out.

Owww! I didn't think of the horns at all! That must have hurt.

Ok, I can't get the Lethal Weapon image out of my head.
Gelatinous Cube
(aka Dungeon Roomba)

Offline Tizzy  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, December 9, 2015 8:57:24 PM(UTC)
Tizzy

Yes, Bellyachus was very clear that he was getting too old for this shit!
Offline Dungeon Roomba  
#10 Posted : Friday, December 11, 2015 7:22:13 PM(UTC)
Dungeon Roomba

Bahahahaha!!! <jiggle> <jiggle>
Gelatinous Cube
(aka Dungeon Roomba)

Offline Iume  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, February 9, 2016 8:33:13 AM(UTC)
Iume

The things you catch when you re-read again: "He had read stories of demons peeling the flesh from their victims, rubbing salt on the muscle tissue and then replacing the skin and massaging them. Talarius shuddered. Only the foulest of dark fiends would even think of such things."

I forgot this was something Lenamare was willing to do and Exador loved to do it. Nice callback.

I so want to put Lenamare & Talarius in the same room just to see the blood fly.
Offline Dungeon Roomba  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, February 9, 2016 4:11:49 PM(UTC)
Dungeon Roomba

You know, that's not the first book I've read that particular trick in. I can't for the life of me remember WHICH book I read it in, but I remember it.

Really nasty when you think about it. Humans sure are inventive figuring out ways to DIS-figure each other.

<mutter> No, that was hot wire mesh to the hands. That book was knives under the skin, not skinning. Maybe that book? No, that was just beatings and sleep deprivation. Which book was it? </mutter>
Gelatinous Cube
(aka Dungeon Roomba)

Offline The Author Guy  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, February 9, 2016 7:11:36 PM(UTC)
The Author Guy

My first memory of the Salt Trick was from sitting around playing ADD when I was in Jr High/High School.
Someone brought it up/thought it up while we were discussing dungeon tortures.
Not at all sure who; it might have been me, but I can't be sure.

And it has stuck with me ever since. I actually scaled it back a little bit in the final edit of book 1.

In the original drafts (from the 80's) Lenamare was one of very few people to have successfully done it. It was a much stronger statement.

Having had many years to grow and develop Lenamare, I changed it and shifted it more to Exador's province

The original Lenamare was more evil then the current one. Now he's more of a run of the mill narcissistic sociopath rather than an actively malevolent one like Exador or Lillith. He doesn't go out of his way to harm people; he just doesn't give much thought to them unless they have some sort of recognizable value to him.

And I really need to nail down the spelling of that woman's name. I spell it randomly every time I type it.
Offline Rosver  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, February 17, 2016 9:24:40 AM(UTC)
Rosver

Groups: Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Well I've read about salt poured into the wounds to increase the pain in torturing in early times.
Offline Korwin  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, February 17, 2016 11:00:34 AM(UTC)
Korwin

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Originally Posted by: The Author Guy Go to Quoted Post

rather than an actively malevolent one like Exador or Lillith.
What slander I have to read here?

Edit:
They are heroes, hopefully Tommus grows up and gets more like them Angel

Edited by user Wednesday, February 17, 2016 11:01:31 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Dungeon Roomba  
#16 Posted : Wednesday, February 17, 2016 11:59:18 AM(UTC)
Dungeon Roomba

Lilith is growing on me...kinda like a fungus, but still.

Exadork...not so much.
Gelatinous Cube
(aka Dungeon Roomba)

Offline Rosver  
#17 Posted : Wednesday, February 17, 2016 12:36:09 PM(UTC)
Rosver

Groups: Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Tom becoming evil? Hmmm... Might be interesting.
Offline Mikey  
#18 Posted : Wednesday, February 17, 2016 1:59:50 PM(UTC)
Mikey

Groups: AoD Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 30 time(s) in 30 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Rosver Go to Quoted Post
Tom becoming evil? Hmmm... Might be interesting.

Politics is a strong and slow boring of hard boards. It requires passion as well as perspective. Certainly all historical experience confirms–that man would not have achieved the possible unless time and again he had reached out for the impossible. But to do that, a man must be a leader, and more than a leader, he must be a hero as well, in a very sober sense of the word. And even those who are neither leaders nor heroes must arm themselves with that resolve of heart which can brave even the failing of all hopes. This is necessary right now, otherwise we shall fail to attain that which it is possible to achieve today. Only he who is certain not to destroy himself in the process should hear the call of politics; he must endure even though he finds the world too stupid or too petty for that which he would offer. In the face of that he must have the resolve to say ‘and yet,’—for only then does he hear the ‘call’ of politics.

–Max Weber, Politik als Beruf (1919)

Max Weber
Offline Rosver  
#19 Posted : Wednesday, February 17, 2016 2:56:16 PM(UTC)
Rosver

Uhhhhh?

I don't get what that is about... Still its great to read some obscure copy/pasted quote! I love quotes.
Offline Mikey  
#20 Posted : Wednesday, February 17, 2016 3:13:57 PM(UTC)
Mikey

Groups: AoD Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 30 time(s) in 30 post(s)
Rosver wrote:
Tom becoming evil?

Mikey wrote:
Only he who is certain not to destroy himself in the process should hear the call of politics; he must endure even though he finds the world too stupid or too petty for that which he would offer.

Rosver wrote:
I don't get what that is about...

Riffing on your idea of Tom turning evil, I presented a scenario through which this could be possible.

To expand on the Max Weber quote a bit, Tom now has his capital city up and running, and if I had to guess, is going to populate it next, with a motley crew of miscreants and the dregs of demon society. You know, the kind of people who are too preoccupied with building things to properly fight for power.

The problem with meeting this many people to provide them with leadership is that you start seeing the weaknesses in human, and demon, nature. That's what Max was talking about. It's easy to draw apart from the people you wish to lead. To start considering people as means to an end, and worse, an end separate from those people.

To retain your respect of the people after meeting them is heroic, that's what Max is speaking of. Not all main characters in fantasy novels have that kind of heroism in them.

Edited by user Wednesday, February 17, 2016 3:26:44 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified