The Council ForumTizzy Talk

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Korwin  
#1 Posted : Friday, May 16, 2014 6:32:17 AM(UTC)
Korwin

Groups: AoD Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Checkbox is doing nothing for me.
Need to login every time I come...

Edited by user Friday, May 16, 2014 6:32:54 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Tizzy  
#2 Posted : Saturday, May 17, 2014 3:26:25 AM(UTC)
Tizzy

Groups: Administrators, AoD Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 47 time(s) in 44 post(s)
Yes. There is something weird with that.

I had that problem for a very long time...and then it just started working.

I think there is something odd about browsers recognizing the "page" in their password dictionaries. I'll take a look in the documentation for DNN (which is what this is) Something called Dot Net Nukem just had Lenamare written all over it...Maybe if I don't use a pop up for the login box, it will work better.

Offline eugene2k  
#3 Posted : Saturday, May 17, 2014 7:10:35 PM(UTC)
eugene2k

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

The popup is a different page in this case. IIRC, cookies from a page in a frame aren't accepted by modern browsers by default. If you can, put the log in box on a separate page or in a "div" layer that can be hidden/shown when needed (can be made to look just as it does now, but the mechanics will be different). I'm not familiar with DNN, so can't really recommend anything specific.

P.S. As a workaround the users can right-click on the popup and choose something like "open frame in new tab" from the popup menu and login on that page.

Edited by user Saturday, May 17, 2014 7:11:56 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Tizzy  
#4 Posted : Saturday, May 17, 2014 10:43:46 PM(UTC)
Tizzy

Groups: Administrators, AoD Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

I didn't look too closely at the pop up box to see what it's doing, I use DNN so I can concentrate on the content rather than the code. I worry about code at work...don't have the energy outside of work...

I can tell it to switch to a logon page, or just put the logon box on the main page.

DNN is an Open Source CMS for ASP.Net. It's actually pretty cool, supports CSS skinning extremely well, and it's pretty easy to write modules for to add custom controls for. The default html content module supports version control, and an end user can define a page layout and drag content boxes around.

Offline eugene2k  
#5 Posted : Sunday, May 18, 2014 6:27:33 PM(UTC)
eugene2k

Err... I'm just gonna correct myself here... The workaround doesn't work, and the frame might not be the problem. For some reasons neither the cookies are saved for longer than a session (could be board settings though) nor does firefox offer to remember the password...
Offline eugene2k  
#6 Posted : Sunday, May 18, 2014 6:36:31 PM(UTC)
eugene2k

Oh and you need to relogin as jerry :)
Offline The Author Guy  
#7 Posted : Sunday, May 18, 2014 8:20:45 PM(UTC)
The Author Guy

Groups: Administrators, AoD Beta Demon, ITN Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 109 time(s) in 86 post(s)
d'oh!

It's not easy to be crazy and have multiple personalities...

OK, dropped a login on the main page. That should solve the cookie problem. I think that's cleaner than a separate page...although maybe annoying if you are already logged in.

Tried briefly to hide it once people are logged in, but doesn't seem to disappear...will need to look into that.
Offline Anskier  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, August 26, 2014 2:00:10 AM(UTC)
Anskier

Groups: AoD Beta Demon, Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I'm still having this happen, anyone find a solution?
Offline Tizzy  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, August 26, 2014 2:14:24 AM(UTC)
Tizzy

Hi,

Specifically what problem are you having? The old one shouldn't be there. The login page is now a normal separate page right now. I've had no problem with Chrome remembering me. (Across multiple machines with google/gmail password synching)

The only problem I have is that for some odd reason it also remembers all these other people too, like Wylan, Lenamare and that Author Guy. I wonder if they are using my mind as a conduit to this website?

what browser are you using? I'll check that out.

PS. You can't "stay logged in" for security reasons it logs out sessions. But the username/password boxes should work with browser save functionality.

Tizzy

Offline Anskier  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, August 26, 2014 2:20:45 AM(UTC)
Anskier

Groups: AoD Beta Demon, Beta Demon, Heavenly Host Beta Demons, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Originally Posted by: Tizzy Go to Quoted Post

PS. You can't "stay logged in" for security reasons it logs out sessions. But the username/password boxes should work with browser save functionality.

Ahh ok, I thought the remember me meant it would remember I'd logged in so I didn't have to re-login everytime I closed my browser

Edited by user Tuesday, August 26, 2014 2:21:43 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Tizzy  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, August 26, 2014 1:50:21 PM(UTC)
Tizzy

No, we have to kill inactive sessions to keep them from being hijacked.

However, with the remember me check, and your browser, if you bookmark that page, you just go to it and click the login button because everything is remembered, that then takes you to the main page.

Surprisingly we've had a bad time with people trying to break into the site, we've had hundreds of fake accounts/profiles created and a ton of bad logins. Fortunately, because they use faked addresses, they can never verify and get access. However, some of the people owning the addresses used have gotten a lot of registration messages from us.

So we had to redo the login process and add other security.
thanks 1 user thanked Tizzy for this useful post.
Anskier on 8/26/2014(UTC)
Offline Anskier  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, August 26, 2014 5:52:32 PM(UTC)
Anskier

Originally Posted by: Tizzy Go to Quoted Post
No, we have to kill inactive sessions to keep them from being hijacked.

However, with the remember me check, and your browser, if you bookmark that page, you just go to it and click the login button because everything is remembered, that then takes you to the main page.

Surprisingly we've had a bad time with people trying to break into the site, we've had hundreds of fake accounts/profiles created and a ton of bad logins. Fortunately, because they use faked addresses, they can never verify and get access. However, some of the people owning the addresses used have gotten a lot of registration messages from us.

So we had to redo the login process and add other security.

Ok I see. I didn't realize it was such a problem, you keep the forums pretty spam free. Well thanks for the answer

Offline Tizzy  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, August 26, 2014 9:43:38 PM(UTC)
Tizzy

NP.

We've only had 2 posts get through...so that's good...so far...

The poster was tracked down by IP and is now roasting slowly in my fire pit at home in the Abyss. It's been about 3 weeks, he should be done in a few more.